Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I need some help on verb tenses!    

I need some help on verb tenses!

tinawu8
China

I need some help on verb tenses!

Hi, dear teachers,
Could you please tell me which answer is correct?  I �m a little confused.
1. Mary said she ___________ (come) from England.
    Answer: comes or came
2. Mary said she ___________ (be) Amercian.
    Answer: is or was
3. --Our team ____________ (win) the match. We�re got the first place!
    --Well done! Congratulations!
    Answer: won or has won
Thanks very much in advance!!!
Tina

15 Nov 2010      

MoodyMoody
United States

For these examples, both can be correct, but with a change in meaning.

Mary said she comes from England. (Mary �s original country is England.)
Mary said she came from England. (Mary was in England and now she �s here, as long as here is outside England.)

Mary said she is American. (Mary is an American citizen and thinks of herself as American.)
Mary said she was American. (Mary was born in the USA, but moved elsewhere and changed her citizenship. She no longer thinks of herself as American.)

For the third example, both won or has won are correct and the meaning is very similar. In general, the simple past is used for actions completed in the past, while the present perfect is used for actions begun in the past but continuing up to the present. Present perfect usually includes a duration.

I worked as a bank teller. (Twenty years ago, and I no longer work at that job.)
I have worked as an ESL teacher for eleven years. (I started in 1999 and I still work at that job.)

I hope this answers your question.

15 Nov 2010     

tinawu8
China

Hi, dear Moody,
Thanks for your good and clear explanation. This is just what I want! Thumbs Up
Thanks again for your kind help!
Tina Heart

15 Nov 2010     

inciska
Turkey

Oh so we are taught wrong here :( Throughout my school years, we were always taught that this structure is called "reported speech" and we must use past tense. For example, we would have to say, in this case

Mary: I am American

And we report it as "Mary said she was American." This does not mean she changed her citizenship, but this is just the rule of reported sentences. 

So all this we were taught so far is wrong? :( I am disappointed...

15 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Inciska,

No need to be disappointed, if you think about it logically (not always the case with English, of course). Backshift is optional when you �re reporting a situation which is still true ( �He said that Istanbul is the capital of Turkey �) and usually doesn �t apply after present, present perfect and future reporting verbs ( �She says she �s Armenian �).

15 Nov 2010