Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Secure permission letter    

Secure permission letter

dankuur
Indonesia

Secure permission letter

Hi, I �m planning to write and publish a book for high school students containing reading materials. 

Most of the reading texts are taken or adapted from other sources or books.  How important is it then to send secure permission letters to the authors of the texts?  Do I need to pay some money when the authors allow me to use them?

15 Nov 2010      

libertybelle
United States

It is your publishers/editors that need to get permission for using materials that are not your own.
If you don �t have a publisher - then you need to go to the authors and have permission.
Go on the net to find out about the legal issues involved here.

If you look closely - you �ll see that most "borrowed" texts are credited and often it says "used with permission by the author.

You could really end up paying a lot of money if you don �t have these things in order first.

Good luck
L

15 Nov 2010     

dankuur
Indonesia

Hi, @libertybelle

Well. �So it �s the publishers/editors � responsibility, isn �t it?

Thanks for the info, L!

15 Nov 2010     

LeaS
Slovenia

Your best bet is to just write your own.

It �s your responisbility to say where you got them and that they need to ask for permission. Most publishers insist you write your own anyhow, cause it �s cheaper for them ;)

15 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

L
You must be sure that things are in order. Someone published one of  lyrics in a book without my permission and there were so many legalities involved. You must talk with the publishers.

Lea - if L is teaching literature - then he surely isn �t going to write it himself.
WE are talking about stories - right L??

15 Nov 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

If you are thinking about writing, a good group to belong to is www.wordpool.co.uk  It has a lot of helpful information for writers but also has a chat room where you can get a lot of support and help on issues such as the ones you are talking about.  It is specifically for UK writers but I know that there are people from all over the world on its forum.  Writing can be a mine field - especially non-fiction and educational stuff, so do your womework.  It is however very rewarding.

The rule of thumb is decide on your target publishers first and then write what fits with their style and their current list.
Hope all work out for you

15 Nov 2010