Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help     

help

mariaelaine
Malta

help

Hi Everyone,

What do we say when a car topples over?  Is there a suitable phrasal verb?  Thanks for your help  Regards, Mariaelaine.

16 Nov 2010      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear mariaelaine,

The first verb that comes to me is �to overturn �.

"My car has run off the road and has overturned".  ("My car went out of control; it ran off the road and ran into the ditch; it turned onto its roof; and it is now lying upside-down in the ditch, with its wheels in the air".

I live in the UK.

I hope that this helps.

Les  

16 Nov 2010     

Zora
Canada

The phrasal you are looking for is "flip over".

Sherry drove her car so fast that it flipped over when she tried to take a sharp corner.

Here�s a picture of a car that has been "flipped over".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/majikthise/305487749/

Cheers,

16 Nov 2010     

akram@73
Tunisia

The phrasal you are looking for is "roll over".

16 Nov 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Mariaelaine

Overturned - flipped over - rolled over - down here at the bottom of the world we use all of those, even toppled over if the vehicle falls over a cliff.  However they all can have slight differences depending on context.  For example, a car that flips over will often be lying on it�s side compared to overturned when it�s more likey to be on it�s roof.  Yet, they can be interchangeable.  A roll over (or rollover) is usually when it rolls over several times.  And toppling is from a height, but sometimes this is also expressed as veered off [a cliff]

Cheers

Jayho

16 Nov 2010     

gitasiva
India

You can also say the car "turned turtle". ;-)

16 Nov 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Native speakers, can a car tumble over? or come tumbling down the hill?
Sophia

16 Nov 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Yes, it can, Sophia. People, walls, shares, prices etc all tumble if they fall quickly and without control. In this context it does suggest , though, that it rolled over a number of times rather than �overturned � which is used to refer to a 180 degree movement.

16 Nov 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

ballycastle1Thanks!

16 Nov 2010