Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I need help with verbs tenses    

I need help with verbs tenses

Fezinho
Portugal

I need help with verbs tenses

Hi everyone,

Concerning an exercise where one has to choose between Past Perfect Simple and Past Perfect Continous, which of these tenses would you choose for these 2 sentences:

1 - They .......... (talk) for hours before they realised what time it was.
2 - At the time of the accident he ......... (drive) for less than 3 months.

Thanks in advance!

16 Nov 2010      

perma
Greece

I �d say the continuous form for both Wink

16 Nov 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

talked ...had driven

16 Nov 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

had been talking ..... had been driving

16 Nov 2010     

napster
Costa Rica

1. had been talking 2.had driven I am the best professor at grammar

16 Nov 2010     

Mabdel
Morocco

had been talking .....

had been driving

Wish u all the best

16 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

@napster (Adalberto/Julio etc)

You mean "... talking... drivel I am the best..." Wink

16 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

1. had been talking
2. I think both had been driving and had driven can be used

16 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Past Perfect Continuous in both cases is perfectly OK (referring to duration before something happened). The Past Perfect Simple in 2) is also OK I suppose but, to my (UK) ear, doesn �t really work as well.

16 Nov 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

I �d say past perfect continuous in both cases, to convey the ongoing, continuous nature of an action which led up to the past moment in time; however, native speakers will often use the past simple in conversation.

16 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Concerning an exercise where one has to choose between Past Perfect Simple and Past Perfect Continuous, which of these tenses would you choose for these 2 sentences:

1 - They .......... (talk) for hours before they realised what time it was.

2 - At the time of the accident he ......... (drive) for less than 3 months.

Thanks in advance!

In my opinion, we have two choices for each sentence.

In sentence 1a, the Past Perfect can be used to show that one thing (�talk�) happened at a specific time in the past before a second thing (�time�).

1a - �They had talked for hours before they realised what time it was� = Past Perfect.

In sentence 1b, the Past Perfect Continuous can be used to show that one thing (�talk�) happened for a period of time in the past before a second thing (�time�).

1b - �They had been talking for hours before they realised what time it was� = Past Perfect Continuous.

The talking did not take place at a specific time.  It took place over a period of time, (�for hours�), therefore, in my opinion, the appropriate tense is the Past Perfect Continuous.

In sentence 2a, the Past Perfect can be used to show that one thing (�drive�) happened at a specific time in the past before a second thing (�accident�).

2a - At the time of the accident he had driven for less than 3 months = Past Perfect.

In sentence 2b, the Past Perfect Continuous can be used to show that one thing (�drive�) happened for a period of time in the past before a second thing (�accident�).

2a - At the time of the accident he had been driving for less than 3 months = Past Perfect Continuous.

The driving did not take place at a specific time.  It took place over a period of time, (�for less than 3 months�), therefore, in my opinion, the appropriate tense is the Past Perfect Continuous.

Les

17 Nov 2010