Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD 19.11.2010    

WOD 19.11.2010

MarionG
Netherlands

WOD 19.11.2010

Wow, That was a nice surprise so early in the morning..Honored and flattered I present you with the new word for the day:

AGROOF

You all know the rules by now:
No dictionary definitions, we all can look up a word. The idea is to let your associations roam free. Let your mastery of the language shine, unless of, course, you know the word... In that case simply pretend you don �t!

I will choose the winner not neccessarily only on the basis of wit but also on the basis of cunning!

Enjoy!

19 Nov 2010      

MarionG
Netherlands

To get you going I will share my first associations with the word AGROOF.
It makes my think of my 6th graders when I tell them we will have yet another lesson on Present Simple...They all go �AGGGrr" and �OOOf � and I proceed by thanking them for their heartwarming enthusiasm and brace myself for a long lesson. In the break I might tell my collegue that "they were all agroof again this morning...."

agroof (arg-oof)= a state of mind or attitude, causing one to utter sounds of dismay and anticipated boredom.

19 Nov 2010     

isabelle99
Monaco

I beg your pArdon MArion but you �re totAlly wrong. I know exActly whAt agroof meAns since I prActise the Agroof sound every morning when the AlArm clock rings. Nothing to do with boredom but with A mixture of "grouchiness" And despAir. ThAt �s why we often use the expression here: "Gosh, you look very Agroof todAy! WAs your night short?"
ps. btw sorry About my "A", i �ve got A bug with my computer, it �s not A new stylish wAy of writing like teens. First I wAs very Agroof About it now I �m getting used to it! 

19 Nov 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Marion, this one �s way too easy...

AGROOF= Scooby-doo �s comment after hitting yet another wall with a mouth full of sausages...

19 Nov 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

No...No...No....

Aaaaaa!!!!! grooff.....
= Go to fullsize image

19 Nov 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

AGROOF-  Am Going to the ROOF to check why so many cats and birds are there!! meowww, cuckooooo..

19 Nov 2010     

crisholm
Spain

I pretend to be aloof but in the bottom of my heart I am very, very angry...

19 Nov 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Agroof is put on top of the grouse to keep out the grain.

19 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

AGROOF

Hello, Marion,

Because of all the language queries on the Forum recently, I�ve been working diligently on my new book: �How to Speak English KORREKT!�

My book contains EVERY ONE of the 157,898 Rules for the KORREKT spelling, pronunciation, and grammar of English, (including the Rule: The plural of �mouse� is �mice�, but the plural of �spouse� is not �spice�.)

You must always carry this three-volume work in your pocket!

With the KORREKT use of �commas� and �ands�, you will be able to discover, in only a few weeks, the KORREKT way to converse by telephone, in English, with a widowed uncle from Bolivia, who has one leg, called Pedro.

Using this book KORREKT, you will probably be able to discover the name of his other leg!

But I digress!  I saw this message from isabelle99.

PS. Sorry About my "A", I �ve got A bug with my computer, it �s not A new stylish wAy of writing like teens. First I wAs very Agroof About it now I �m getting used to it!

I rushed to send her an e-mail to say: �Sorry�, because �A� is the second-most-used vowel in English, after �E�.  Her e-mails might become unreadable!

However, I think that I have caught a virus from her computer, b&caus& Comma instantly Comma &v&ry word that contain&d an �&� in my &-mail b&cam& an amp&rsand Comma lik& this Comma �&�.  Mor&ov&r Comma &v&ry tim& that I us&d a comma Comma lik& this � Comma� it b&cam& th& word �comma� Comma lik& this Comma �Comma�.

Th&s& mistak&s ar& r&ally making m& v&x&d Comma displ&as&d Comma and &xasp&rat&d.  I am Comma not m&r&ly in a t&mp&r Comma I am in a s&&thing rag& Comma whol&h&art&dly bor&d Comma r&s&ntful Comma and tir&d of th& whol& s&ns&l&ss s&tup!  It�s b&ginning to driv& m& round th& b&nd.

I�ll hav& to tak& my l&av&.

Ch&&rio!

B& s&&ing you!

L&s

AGROOF Only this password works.  AGROOF s&cur&s fr&&dom from s&v&r& Comma int&ns& Comma &xtr&m& Comma comput&r int&rf&r&nc&.

19 Nov 2010     

isabelle99
Monaco

don �t know which sort of stuff you Are on, l&s, but i wish i hAd the sAme one!!!!!Wink

19 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Hey, Les, you are on to something there.."the plural of spouse isn �t spice" you say... There are no coincidences.
There must be an important message for all married couples (or wannabees). I just can �t figure out what the message is..
a) adding another spouse to the mix is sure to add some spice..
b) too much of the same spouse makes it loose its spice....

ok, that didn �t have a lot to do with the word of the day...AGROOF
(a gruffy groom, maybe)

20 Nov 2010