Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Come and play: Word of the Day 19.11.2010    

Come and play: Word of the Day 19.11.2010

MarionG
Netherlands

Come and play: Word of the Day 19.11.2010

The word for today is

AGROOF

In case you are new to the game; the idea is to give an original definition (daffynition) for the word. We are not interested in the real definition (we all have a computer to look it up, some of us may even own a dictionary). We are looking for your free associations and wit. Show off your English, unless you know the meaning of the word, in that case just act stupid....
The best person giving the best, or most creative, or funniest,  or most inventive, or sometimes even most gross (grossest?) definition will be chosen to provide tomorrow �s word.
Remember, the idea is to have fun with English!

If you want to look at the daffynitions given by the early birds today, check

or - if the link doesn �t work because I �m not very good at this kind of thing - just look for �word  day � in the search bar....

19 Nov 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

Hi Marion...I think it �s grossestest. :-)

19 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Well, as a verified geek, I play World of Warcraft, Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, GURPS, 7th Sea, Legend of the Five Rings, and even TOON. "Ag" is a term we gamers use to mean aggression, or how interested the monsters are in grinding your flesh into a pulp. So agroof is obviously a gaming term used to talk about how likely the roof is to attack you (i.e., fall on your head).  

19 Nov 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Agroof is the sound a baby makes when it wants you to read another story about his or her favourite character � �Roo � � from Winnie the Pooh.

19 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

OK, Ed, give it a try...give us your grossestest.......agroof is the word.....

19 Nov 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

agroof is when you �re retileing the roof and you fall off. "Aagh!! Roof!" Very simple.

20 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

I mentioned this word to my mother today, and I thought I �d share her "daffynition." Her thought was urban farming - agriculture on rooftops. I have to say that I liked hers better than mine! But judge me on my own.

20 Nov 2010