Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > a question about tenses    

a question about tenses

serenity light
Kuwait

a question about tenses

Hi, I �ve got a question:

If someone is asked to put the verb in brackets in the following sentence in the suitable form(or tense)

I ( live) in this town for seven years.

I think ( have lived) is the answer

But I want to make sure if other tenses like the past perfect or continuous tenses are also possible answers  or not!

Thanks a lot  for your help

20 Nov 2010      

MarionG
Netherlands

Depends on where you are living now...
If you are no longer living there you would say; I have lived in this town for seven years. (but I no longer live there) Unless you add the word �now � because then it would again sound as if you still live there; I have lived in this town for seven years now (and I �ve never seen it so crowded)
If you still live there you would say: I have been living in this town for seven years (and I still don �t know where the postoffice is)

At least that sounds right to me.. I only teach primary so I never bothered finding out how these tenses are called.. :)

20 Nov 2010     

Gia Mel
Chile

I agree with Marion... If I had seen that excercise in a test, I �d have put " I �ve been living in this town for seven years "  because it says "this" town, not "that" town. This implies that the town is important for the speaker...

Just a thought!

Gia.

20 Nov 2010     

Gia Mel
Chile

And I believe that the tense is called present perfect progressive (or continuous)...

20 Nov 2010     

serenity light
Kuwait

thanks a lot  for your answers

I know that  we can use ( for ) with perfect tenses according to the situation

..but if ( this town ) is replaced with any other word like a name of city for example,,and no more information  added ,,can we say ( am living ) ,, ( was living ) ,, ( had lived) ?

I ( am living ) in Paris for seven years. ( like when talking about a  future plan)
   ( was living ) : ( to express an action that continued for a while in the past but it ended)
   ( had lived)  :  ( ( to talk about the duration of the action that happened earlier in time)

which of the previous are possible ..if any???

20 Nov 2010     

Gia Mel
Chile

I guess in spoken language all of them may be possible, but "I �m living in Paris for seven years" and  "I was living in Paris for seven years" sound strange to me...

I�d say: I�ve been living in Paris for seven years (If I still live there) or I had lived in Paris for seven years (If I no longer live here)

See you!

20 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

As an American, I have no problem with "I have lived in the USA for [mumble, mumble] years," meaning that I still live here. "I have been living in the USA for [mumble, mumble] years" is also okay. I would use simple past, past perfect, or past perfect continuous to talk about a condition that no longer exists, i.e. "I worked as a cashier [mumble] years ago," "I had worked as a dishwasher before I worked as a cashier," "I had been working as a library assistant when I met my husband."

20 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Serenity Light,

Here is my opinion for the sentences (as written by you).  I live in the United Kingdom.

�I live in this town for seven years�.  Present Simple � NOT POSSIBLE.

�I live in this town (it is a fact)�. Possible.

�I am living in this town for seven years�. Present Progressive � NOT POSSIBLE.

�I am living in this town at present, (temporarily)�. Possible.

�I lived in this town for seven years, (but I don�t live here now)�. Past Simple � Possible.

�I was living in this town for seven years, (until I moved to London, so I don�t live here now)�.  Past Progressive � Possible.

�I have lived in this town for seven years (and I still live here)�.  Present Perfect � Possible.

�I had lived in this town for seven years�. Past Perfect - NOT POSSIBLE without more information.

�I had lived in this town for seven years (and then I married my wife)�. Possible.

�I have been living in this town for seven years (and I am still living here)�.  Present Perfect Continuous - Possible.

�I will live in this town for seven years (and then I will do something different)�. Future Simple � Possible.

�I would live in this town for seven years�. Future Conditional - NOT POSSIBLE without more information.

�I would live in this town for seven years (if I had the opportunity)�. Possible

I have underlined what I think is the probable correct answer.

I hope that this helps you.

Les

20 Nov 2010     

serenity light
Kuwait

that �s very clear
I appreciate your help
many thanks to you all

20 Nov 2010