Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help with explaining idioms    

help with explaining idioms

MarionG
Netherlands

help with explaining idioms

Hi dear collegues,
I beg your help..
I am preparing a sheet on the song "hey Jude" because one of my students requested it. One of the exercises will be about the idioms used in the song.
(match the idiom to meaning) Could you help me write an explation (in very easy English) for:

To let someone into your heart.
To let someone under your skin.

and now for the tricky part, in such a way that it shows a difference (in simple English)

I would appreciate your help.

20 Nov 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Marion

To let someone into your heart= to allow someone behind your emotional defences, to begin to like someone in a way that they become part of you

to let someone under your skin= to allow someone to be so close as to begin to irritate and annoy you

i hope this helps

20 Nov 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

To let (her) into your heart: Open yourself to someone and show them who you are and what you really feel.

To let (her) under your skin: in the song you refer to, I think this means basically the same as the above; it �s not the same as �get under someone �s skin � (which means bother or bug someone) because �it will make things better �. BTW, some claim this is a reference to heroin use.

More at this site or here about the meaning of this song (seems to be a song written for Lennon �s son to get over his parents divorce). Never thought about the meaning of this song before.

20 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thank you both so much, it was very helpful.
Philip, the site you suggested is very useful!

20 Nov 2010