Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "Mature"    

"Mature"

ayda louhichi
Tunisia

"Mature"

Which one is correct? maturer/maturest?
                                            or
                      more mature than/ most mature?
As far as I know, it �s the first, but i �ve found both on the net

22 Nov 2010      

PaulG
Costa Rica

Hi. Usually, when an adjective has two or more syllables, the correct form is more/most .... The exception to this rule is when the adjective ends with a "y". So, the correct answer is more/most mature.

22 Nov 2010     

ayda louhichi
Tunisia

Thanks Paul so much

22 Nov 2010     

Minka
Slovenia

Add -er, -ow and -le to the exceptions:

narrow - narrower - the narrowest
clever - cleverer - the cleverest
simple - simpler - the simplest.

22 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Even with other two-syllable words not ending in -y, -ow, -le etc, it is, of course, possible to have the -er/-est endings and, if my Oxford Encyclopedic English Dictionary is anything to go by, maturer and maturest are perfectly acceptable. Actually, even Wiktionary accepts this: 

[I know that I�ve gone on about this before (it�s nothing personal, Paul, I assure you Smile), but we really should be more careful when we say that this or that is �correct� or �not correct� - particularly if we haven�t bothered to check authoritative sources (and I am not talking about the likes of Lynne Truss or Simon Heffer here; I mean dictionaries of usage, corpus studies, grammars written by grammarians etc). I�m a native English speaker, experienced teacher and linguist and I always double-check sources as far as I am able before I make pronouncements on the English language. And I�m still open to argument...]

22 Nov 2010