Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

crisholm
Spain

Word of the Day

Well, dear friends, the time has come. I loved Ldthemagicman �s, Edromedina �s and Redbull �s lengthy arguments, but I got caught by Magneto �s simplicity.

Marion �s warnings are to be taken into account.

Some explanations are a bit lurid - all that apparently innocent hunting...

In the end, I must choose Moravc �s non-manicheistic definition, as it allows for both nice and evil creatures (allowing for those jars that remind us of Elinor Rigby!). Hug

By the way, SCREELPOKE, according to  Jeffrey Kacirk �s �Forgotten English Calendar �, is �a name bestowed on a crying child; from �screed �, to cry in a shrieking manner.

So many of you were close enough, at least in what sound effects are concerned.

The calendar mentions Dvorak �s unique symphonic poem, �The Noonday Witch �, who would snap up the crying child if it didn �t behave (I do not know why it is mentioned in the calendar, because after all it must have been in Czech and the word is Mid-Yorkshire dialect).

I �ve googled it and, to my surprise, it also means � A person who writes begging letters asking for money, using a different name or personality for each like Thernardier in the novel Les Mis�rables. �

There �s even a blog with links under the name!

Thanks to all of you and keep playing!

Hugs!Hug

22 Nov 2010      

moravc
Czech Republic

Thanks a lot! I never thought of that :-)

The piece itself was formally premi�red on 21st November 1896 in London under the conductor Henry Wood. A letter written by Dvoř�k to the Vienna critic Dr. Robert Hirschfeld, shortly before its performance by the Vienna Philharmonic under Hans Richter on 20th December 1896, allows us an insight into the comparative structures of the poem and its accompanying music: Dear Dr. Hirschfeld, Yesterday and the day before that I was already awaiting your letter, and I was about to write to Dr. Richter about the matter [concerning the concert programme], because I did not know that you are going to prepare the analysis of all three works. To come straight to the heart of the matter:
Motif I, the child playing quietly, is a species of idyll
Motif II [Oboe] is an imitation of a cockerel [commonly misunderstood to be the child becoming peevish, but proven otherwise by Dvoř�k �s addition of �ki-ki-ri-ki � in the score], which the child is given to play with by his mother to keep him quiet;
The mother becomes angry: Motif III [Flute and Oboe] represents the child when he cries The mother becomes quarrelsome and scolds the child [Viola]: Then the mother says she will go to fetch the Noon Witch.
 The motif appears concisely expressed and carefully prepared.
The child calms down and the former scene is re-enacted.
The appearance of the Witch as she opens the door slowly and walks up to the mother [Violin]: Bass clarinet below in the bass.
She says to her: �Give me your child� [Trumpet and Trombone]:
She [the mother] becomes desperate: The music now develops more and more;
the Witch seizes hold of the mother, who shrinks back, and being afraid for the safety of her child she clutches him to her bosom. As for the music, it is a description of the Witch: in between the mother screams: [listen for the Woodwind section - the subdued screams of the mother - beneath the Witch �s theme in the Brass] until page 32,
where the mother, almost dead from being chased and scarcely breathing, collapses:
The orchestra becomes more and more subdued until page 33, no. 14:
It is midday � the father prays, without any knowledge of what has happened. he opens the door and discovers his wife unconscious on the floor.
The mother�s motif [Oboe] appears again: The father tries to revive her, and gradually she begins to breathe again:
She regains consciousness. Modulation to A major: This figure and a sudden crescendo lead to the motif that follows, where the father, in despair at the loss of the child, displays the greatest agitation: The Witch vanishes:

Most respectfully yours, A. Dvoř�k
P.S. In great haste! Your letter arrived in the evening, and I must go to the post office.
John Clapham, �Dvoř�k�s unknown letters on his Symphonic Poems� in Music and Letters (1975, LVI: 277-287). Translation provided by Susan Reynolds.

Anton�n Dvoř�k �s magnificent classics

http://www.youtube.com/v/StluJPBLJfM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGXRJOmeqzc

Here is the mini-film The Noon- Witch on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csRvIUZ7TBY

23 Nov 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

The Noon Witch - ballad / poem by Karel Jarom�r Erben, Translation: Susan Reynolds
By the bench there stood an infant,
Screaming, screaming, loud and wild;
�Can�t you just be quiet an instant?
Hush, you nasty gipsy-child!

Now it�s noon, or just about,
Daddy�s coming home for dinner:
While I cook, the fire�s gone out -
All your fault, you little sinner!

Hush! Your cart�s here, your hussar
- Look, your cockerel! � Go on, play!�
Crash, bang! Soldier, cock and cart
To the corner fly away.

Once again that fearful bellow -
�May a hornet come and sting you!
Hush, you naughty little fellow,
Or the Noonday Witch I�ll bring you!

Come for him, you Noonday Witch, then!
Come and take this pest for me!�
- In the door into the kitchen,
Someone softly turns the key.

Little, brown-skinned, strange of feature,
On her head a kerchief pinned;
With a stick � crook-legged creature,
Voice that whistles like the wind!

�Give that child here!�
�Lord, forgive This sinner�s sins, my Saviour dear!�
It�s a wonder she still lives,
For see � the Noonday Witch is here!

Silent as a shadow wreathes,
The witch towards the table�s slipping:
Mother, fearful, scarcely breathes,
In her lap the child she�s gripping.

Twisting round, she looks behind her -
Poor, poor child � ah, what a fate!
Closer creeps the witch to find her,
Closer � now she�s there � too late!

Now for him her hand is grasping -
Tighter squeeze the mother�s arms:
�For Christ�s precious torments!� gasping,
She sinks senseless with alarm.

Listen � one, two, three and more:
The noonday bell is ringing clear;
The handle clicks, and as the door
Flies wide open, father�s here.

Child clasped to her breast, he found,
Lying in a faint, the mother;
He could hardly bring her round,
But the little one was � smothered.

By the way ALL Czech kids know this "ballad" by heart! :-D Me too.

23 Nov 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

For more:
see:
http://www.classissima.com/en/news/309800-music-and-literature-%E2%80%93-dvo%C5%99%C3%A1k-and-erben/

I would call a SCREELPOKE   "uřv�nek" in Czech but it is a slang!

23 Nov 2010     

crisholm
Spain

I cannot envisage a most deserved prize!

23 Nov 2010