Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY - for Wednesday    

WORD OF THE DAY - for Wednesday

anitarobi
Croatia

WORD OF THE DAY - for Wednesday

Oh me, oh my! Just received a pm from moravc about me winning the word of the day game on Tuesday! Since I rarely manage to play, and I only blabbed out my explanation after a loooooooong hard working day, I guess I must have struck a nerve with all the sugar in my explanationWink....

Anyway, I do hope I �m not repeating anyone �s suggestion for WOD here(if I am, do pm me), but my word for you is:

NELIPOT....

As always, no dictionary definitions, no cheating, pls... just let your imagination run wild...

Hope we get some fun stuff for this one, too...

Anita

24 Nov 2010      

MoodyMoody
United States

As you probably know, Nellie Melba was a famous Australian opera singer who inspired several different foods. One of these foods was Peach Melba, which consists of peaches, vanilla ice cream, and raspberry pure�. It is sometimes served in a ceramic ramekin, commonly called a nelipot, after Nellie Melba.

24 Nov 2010     

chud
Israel

I don �t know, what about you, guys, but I �ve had broblems with feeding my daughter, who used to be rather picky eater as a child. So, in order to make her open her mouth wide for a spoon, I had to tell her stories: one for each spoon. Here �s one of them:

Once upon a time there was a little potato named Nelly (shortly Nelypot). Nelly the potato lived in a small house in the shape of a pot. Everyone called it  the Nelipot. Here �s the typical conversation, Nelly �s had hundreds of times:
- What �s your name?
- My name �s Nelypot.
- Your name �s Nelly what?
- Where do you live, Nelly?
- I live in the Nelipot.
- You live in Nelly �s what? etc.

Well, Nelly the potato, who lived in the Nelipot, had a pet - the dog named Spot, due to a cute brown spot on its back (Nelly �s pet Spot=NelySpot). All day long Nelypot together with Nelyspot have been sitting on the top of the Nelipot, doing what? Let me put a dot. To be continued Tongue

24 Nov 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Obviously it �s an acronym ne (neon) li (light) pot (plenty of time), so it �s a noun which stands for a person who likes to walk downtown in the evening and does it frequently. 
E.g. - Would you like to walk downtown with me tonight?
- Sorry, I �m not that much of a nelipot really. Ask Nelly, she �s a true nelipot.
Have a nice day, everyoneSmile 
Sophia 

24 Nov 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Nellie the elephant packed her trunk and said goobye to the circus
Off she went with a trump-ati-tump, trump, trump trump.

Nellie the elephant packed her trunk and stood right there on the spot
Off she wen to smoke a joint that was not entirely made of pot...

Nelipot....= what Nellie the elephant smoked before she returned to the jungle.

24 Nov 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Well, I think it is a name for this funny pot with a strange flower :-D   Am I right?

Is this pot for Nelly? Yes, it is!

24 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Nelipot

I am surprised, Anita, that someone as refined as you should choose this word!

In times past, when she was upstairs cleaning out the bedroom, the French housewife had a polite expression to protect unwary pedestrians in the street: �Gardez l�eau!� (�Watch out for the water!�)

This has moved into English as �The Loo� (�The Toilet� --- �I�m going to the loo�).

I recall that, as a young boy, I was complaining to my uncle how my family had been treated unfairly by life.

My brother had obtained his first job in a factory.  The next day, there was a fire and it burned to the ground!  It was an asbestos factory!

I remember his philosophical words.

�Leslie� he said, (he gave me my Sunday-name, because that was the only day that he could visit us), �Leslie� he said,

�Don�t ever forget that, as one door closes, another door opens!�

I have never forgotten that advice!  And I knew that it was based on experience, because he worked in London as a Lavatory Assistant in a Public Toilet.

The word �Nelipot� does not come from the French, but from the Italian.

�Nel-i-pot!�  (�Nell-Ee-Po�)

�Nel� = �in�; �i� = �the�; �pot� = �poe�.

In centuries past, imagine the scene.  The young Italian mother is in the kitchen, separating each piece of male �spaghetto� from each piece of female �spaghetta�, so as to mix them in equal proportions, (in accordance with the latest European Union directive), and achieve perfect �spaghetti�.

Suddenly, she gives an anguished cry, as she sees her baby son with his �potty� (�baby toilet�) on his head, about to perform his toilet function on the carpet.

�Nel-i-pot! Nel-i-pot!  Per favore?�

�In your potty!  In your potty�  Please?�

Les

24 Nov 2010