Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY FOR SUNDAY - part 2    

WORD OF THE DAY FOR SUNDAY - part 2

anitarobi
Croatia

WORD OF THE DAY FOR SUNDAY - part 2

As the evening approaches, your answers seem to get more and more hillarious - I knew you �d be fun to read, but this http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=24611 exceeds my expectations! The word for this Sunday is NURSERYMAN and you still have time to join the game with your SF, comical, poetic, enigmatic, scientific and what-have-you approach...
ClapThumbs UpHug

28 Nov 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Two toddlers in The Bronx discussing the day ahead:

Toddler number 1--"Yo, bro, watch ya doin �?"
 Toddler number 2-- "Dig dis bro, A �m goin � 2 da NURSERYMAN."
 Toddler number 1-  "Nurseryman? Wot is dat? A gang?"
 Toddler number 2--" Nah bro t �aint nottin like dat. Nursery... MAN, d �ya ged it bro? U is da man!"

28 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Nurseryman

This is so simple that it�s childish!

Because �The Word of the Day� appears to begin with �Nursery�, many have rattled on about �Baby Training� etc.

Anyone with lots of experience of babies knows that it�s not training but that it�s all a matter of pot luck!

I know a lot about children.  Firstly, I was one.  Secondly, I was well-experienced as a child because my mother had twins, 2 girls and 1 boy.  (They couldn�t get the ambulance door shut in time!)

The person about whom we are talking is, of course, one of those fictional Nanny-type characters, so beloved of the film industry, in charge of a huge family of children.  I am referring to the eponymous �Mary Poppins�; �Mrs. Doubtfire�; and �Nanny McPhee�.

(An �Eponymous� is a bit like one of those fearsome animals that you saw in Jurassic Park --- similar to a badly-dressed hippopotamus, but with excellent table manners).

The name of this eponymous?

�Nurse Ryman�!

Each of the 3 characters above had a special screen persona --- Mary Poppins could sing and dance, Mrs. Doubtfire could --- well, you�ve seen the films, so I don�t need to tell you!

Nurse Ryman is also well-known for her idiosyncrasies, and she belongs to a famous family.

I am sometimes accused of departing from the truth, which hurts.

Google �Ryman� and you�ll see that my account is entirely accurate!

�Ryman Stationery and Office�

One of the opening lines in the film, spoken in a shop by the boy of the family, is:

�Excuse me, Miss, can you come over here and sell me some paper?�

�No!  I�m sorry!  I sell stationary!�

This is the character portrayed by Nurse Ryman --- she does not move during the entire film! Even when she is dancing!

It required enormously sensitive acting ability on the part of Meryl Streep to play this part, without any movement whatsoever.

However, to save money, the producer hired a cardboard cut-out from the local DIY shop!

But the title of this famous film is �Nurse Ryman, Stationary and Office!�

Here, we have a clue to her second duty with the children,

The �Office� is a euphemism for the �Toilet�.

Nurse Ryman --- need I say more?

Les

28 Nov 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Dear all,
although it was touch and go there for a while between some of you, especially Les(who wrote a thesis on the word) and David, I decided to award the winning ribbon to David (before he becomes the nurseryman he believes he will soon become:)))
Our WOD was nurseryman, which officially means
Noun 1. nurserymannurseryman - someone who takes care of a garden  
horticulturist, plantsman - an expert in the science of cultivating plants (fruit or flowers or vegetables or ornamental plants)
transplanter - a gardener who moves plants to new locations
Although I have to admit your ideas were much more inventive and fun, not to mention the stories behind it (Frank:))) and the pictures (the suited guy with fake breasts - hillarious).

So, dear David, it �s up to you to choose the word of the day for Monday...

28 Nov 2010