Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > he is said to... - problems with one sentence    

he is said to... - problems with one sentence

dobrawaa
Poland

he is said to... - problems with one sentence

I want to transform the sentence- "Mozart never attended school" starting from Mozart is known to...
And now I have some doubt - Is "Mozart is known to have never attended school" correct?
Thanks for your help,
Cheers
Ania

28 Nov 2010      

libertybelle
United States

I wonder why you would want to change that sentence.
You can write:  It is well known that Mozart never attended school -
but to write that Mozart never attended school it straight and to the point.

28 Nov 2010     

dturner
Canada

Don �t you think the sentence works if you add more information to specifically to support your thesis statement.  In the "well known that" sentence, the reader is being set up for some sort of contradictory sentence to follow.  Unlike the other sentence, "Mozart never attended school", which could support or contradict. 

28 Nov 2010     

[email protected]
United Kingdom

I agree with Libertybelle, but there �s nothing grammatically wrong with "Mozart is known to have never attended school" - just the negative �to have never attended � sounds a little uncommon.
Other variations:
�Mozart is known to have been educated at home � (or wherever!), or �Mozart is known to have received no formal education �.

Alex

28 Nov 2010     

dobrawaa
Poland

Thank you very much for all your answers. You �ve helped me a lot!
Ania

28 Nov 2010     

Turkey

there is nothing wrong with your sentence but i think you should make it "it is well known that... " because this is easier to perceive and makes it more readable if it is contextual

28 Nov 2010     

ilyasta
Morocco

YOUR SENTENCE IS PERFECT

28 Nov 2010     

yanogator
United States

Well, according to the "rules" of grammar, the adverb should not be placed in the middle of the present perfect infinitive. So, for a formal sentence, it should be "Mozart is known never to have attended school." For a casual sentence, though, it �s acceptable.

Bruce

28 Nov 2010     

Jayho
Australia

I agree with Bruce

Cheers

Jayho

28 Nov 2010     

dobrawaa
Poland

Thank you again and have a nice day!

Cheers