Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > GOOD EVENING OR GOOD NIGHT    

GOOD EVENING OR GOOD NIGHT

vikral
India

GOOD EVENING OR GOOD NIGHT

Hi Everybody

How would you wish a person whom you are meeting/leaving at about 7PM? Will it be GOOD EVENING or GOOD NIGHT? You are meeting/leaving him/her for the last time on that day. You are not going to meet him/her again on that day. Do we say GOOD NIGHT only at the time of leaving at night? Also enlighten about the time periods for morning, afternoon, evening & night.

Thanks and Regards

Vikral

3 Dec 2010      

Redbull
Thailand

Time periods:

Morning = 00:01 to 11:59

Afternoon = 12:00 to 17:59

Evening = 18:00 to 23:59

Daytime = Sunrise to Sunset = Dawn to Dusk

Nightime = Sunset to Sunrise = Dusk to Dawn

Now for your question you would use Good evening when you are meeting someone.

And good night when saying goodbye and you wont see them again that EVENING.

3 Dec 2010     

jannabanna
France

Personally (and I �m English) I would only use "good night" to family or friends just before going to bed.  You can say "good evening" instead of "hello" when you meet people in the evening, but it �s rather formal and probably wouldn �t be used with friends, we would just say "hello or hi".  When you leave people in the evening you just say "goodbye".  The same applies for "good morning" or "good afternoon", we say "goodbye" when we leave.

I have often had this question with my students because the French always say the same thing when they arrive and when they leave, but that �s what languages are all about, you can �t translate word for word.

Hope I �ve been of some help.

3 Dec 2010     

douglas
United States

"Goodnight" usually means "goodbye", I never use it as a greeting.

3 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

I guess it depends whether you �re coming or going.

3 Dec 2010     

apayala
Spain

I always thought that you say "good evening" for the day time from 6 pm onwards and "good night" just only right before going to bed.

3 Dec 2010