Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > intonation    

intonation

D@N! P
Brazil

intonation

Can you tell what happens to Intonation in yes/no questions and -wh questions?

Could you draw the intonation lines in the sentences below? Or at least see if it is correct?

Please help me

3 Dec 2010      

Gise09
Argentina

Hi! In wh-questions we have falling intonation and in yes/no questions the intonation is rising. In the first case, the voice goes from a high level and falls on the last lexical item. In yes/no questions, the voice goes from a low level and rises on the last lexical item. I hope you understand me. Good luck!

GiseWink

4 Dec 2010     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Yes, Gise, you�re right. Wink Nevertheless, it is "only" a lexical rule and the thing which is sometimes confusing to students (and maybe to teachers as well) is that there is also a context of the situation and the speaker wants to put stress on some words, ie. (s)he wants to emphasize something and the intonation can be slightly different. IMHO.
            Oto
                          Have a nice veekend, all dear colleagues.

4 Dec 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

you �re right. Depends on the speaker �s intention.

4 Dec 2010