Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need help    

I need help

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

I need help

Hi,
 I have a question about the article the.

I looked at the website to know more uses of the.

I found this :   We can use the :

a. Referring to something mentioned before
The
is used with uncountable nouns referring to things previously mentioned.

But look at the following paragraph
Scrambled Eggs

To make scrambled eggs for one person, you need two eggs and some milk. First, you break   the      eggs into  a     pan and beat them with  a  wooden spoon. Then you pour �.  milk into the   pan. You can also add��  salt and �.. Pepper if you wish. Next, you put the  pan onto  the  cooker and heat the eggs and milk slowly. You must stir the  mixture with  the wooden spoon as it cooks. When the scrambled eggs are ready, serve them on  a   warm plate with a piece of ��  bread and  ��.   butter.

Why before the second  milk we don �t use the  although it is mentioned again ??

I need another help ,please.

Just before dawn people can be heard again in the houses.

Is there a comma after dawn ???  

Thanks a lot in advance,

:)

6 Dec 2010      

kodora
Greece

Because it refers to milk in general.You could use the in the following situation:I usually buy milk from the corner shop but the milk I bought yesterday had already gone bad.
Dora

6 Dec 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

I respectfully disagree with kodora. You should put the before the in "Then you pour the milk into the pan," because you already mentioned some milk. In "heat the eggs and milk slowly" you don �t need the in front of milk because the eggs and milk are one mixture. One the is enough. It isn �t wrong to say "the eggs and the milk," but Americans are usually too lazy to say so.

6 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

Hi!

That paragraph looks like a gap-filling exercise to me, so I think you should use the before milk. The fact that it �s an uncountable noun makes no difference; it �s already been mentioned before, so it �s specific now. The is generally used both with countable and uncountable nouns.

I also think there could be a comma after dawn, but it �s optional.

According to this site - http://www.wvup.edu/jcc/pam/commas.htm (quoting):

Many writers use a comma after all introductory prepositional phrases.  However, a comma is not necessary after a short introductory prepositional phrase unless it contains a verb form, unless omitting the comma would cause misreading, or unless the phrase is a transitional expression or an absolute phrase.  An absolute phrase is one that has no grammatical relationship to the rest of the sentence..

At the end of its first year of operation, the company showed a small loss.

On June 15 you will receive the materials you requested. Or:  On June 15, you will receive the materials you requested.

In order to succeed, we must work harder and smarter. (The phrase contains the infinitive to succeed.)

By ordering now, we should save a few hundred dollars. (This short phrase contains the gerund ordering.)

If done properly, the corrections will not be noticeable. (The phrase is short, but it contains the participle done.)

In my opinion, everyone deserves a three-week vacation with pay. (In my opinion is an absolute phrase. It has no grammatical relationship to any part of the rest of the sentence.)

Construction is three months behind schedule; as a result, we will be unable to move into the new offices until the end of May. (This phrase functions as a transitional expression.)

In the spring, rain may cause flooding. (The  comma is necessary to prevent misreading. Not:  In spring rain may cause flooding.)

Hope I �ve helped a bit!Smile

6 Dec 2010     

Halildurak
Turkey

I agree with Magneto and MoodyMoody.We should use the in that sentence.The is used both with countable and uncountable nouns.And Kodora says"Because it refers to milk in general" and that doesn2t seem to be true cause we are talking about some specific milk (the milk we use at that moment)

6 Dec 2010     

donapeter
Romania

I agree with Moody.

6 Dec 2010     

Turkey

there are rules because people of that language use it in that way; it is natural. just analyse the sentence. pour milk into..... it is just to say you should use milk to make that recipe. "the" can be definitely used before "milk" in the sentence.   if it is not used, there is nothing wrong but we should analyse the sentence or that expression in different way from the one we think first

6 Dec 2010     

yanogator
United States

I agree that "the" is needed in this case. Without it, it seems that the recipe is referring to more milk, in addition to that mentioned before. That can �t be, because the milk referred to at first hasn �t been used yet in the recipe.

Bruce

6 Dec 2010     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thank you very much for everybody helps me.

7 Dec 2010