Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed : school staff ( from French to English)    

Help needed : school staff ( from French to English)

ludique22
France

Help needed : school staff ( from French to English)

Hello there, I �m working on a worksheet about school staff and I have some difficulty in finding the correct translation for the following jobs. Could you help me?
Here is what I �ve come up with so far:

CPE (conseiller principal d ��ducation): chief supervisor
Surveillant ou assistant d ��ducation: supervisor or overlooker.
Agent d �accueil: receptionist
Principal: principal or headmaster
Principal adjoint: deputy principal

Thanks in advance for your help
Sylvie

6 Dec 2010      

elprofe55
Argentina

Bonjour,

I �m not an French speaker but I used to study it before start teaching English. Tongue

I think they are right!

I can add other synonyms to your list:

Principal: principal, headmaster , the heedie, or head teacher

Principal adjoint: deputy principal, Vice principal or assistent principal

Adieu.

6 Dec 2010     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Hi Sylvie! I �m also working on this topic! I think that "le conseiller principal d ��ducation" is a "school counselor" -
Surveillant would probably be a "teacher �s assistant" (a supervisor works for the Ministry of Education I believe).
Principal or headmaster/headmistress is good! Deputy principal sounds also fine.
Hope to see your w/s very soon! (Mine will probably be ready next week... I have another one planned for a day or two) Oh! And I �m not advertizing of course LOL
If you have any other question, please don �t hesitate to ask.

By the way, I�d like to know how is the main teacher in the primary classroom called. Here we call him/her the "educator" - Maybe the "classroom teacher"?

Bonne chance - Aim�e.

6 Dec 2010     

elprofe55
Argentina

oh, you are right Aimee. Is the same as a Tutor, isn �t it?

6 Dec 2010     

slvybdx
France

CPE : that �s tricky as it doesn �t exist ... Head in charge of Pastoral care

surveillant : same problem ... supervisor sounds correct to me ( there used to be the janitor )

Teacher �s assistant ( or TA ) are common in England but they are in class with the teacher and are here to help children wit difficulties

Pal adjoint : deputy Head seems OK

receptionist sounds very "hotel like" When I was in England , it was the caretaker ( like "gardien" in French )

Hope there will be answers from English speaking countries ; I �ll be interested
All the best

Sylvie (!)

6 Dec 2010     

sulekra
Australia

At my school we has a Pastoral Care Coordinator, in case that helps with the CPE?

6 Dec 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

May be you would find answers to your questions here and here.
Cheers,
Sophia

6 Dec 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Alexander Carr? There �s obviously a touch of the Scot in you somewhere. �The heedie � (or �heidie �) is one of those Scots words which, despite - or even because of - the fact it �s a diminutive, still evokes visions of distance, damnation and sudden retribution. "The heidie wants to see you" used to have me looking desperately for escape routes. It was even worse when I was a pupil...

Surveillant � is vaguely and possibly comparable with assistant (as in �classroom assistant �) or monitor (as in �playground/corridor monitor �). I remember the term from my time in France, and that they weren �t particularly popular with the pupils because of their disciplinary duties, but there really isn �t an easily translatable equivalent - in the UK, at any rate.

6 Dec 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Is a custodian a janitor or a monitor?
Sophia

6 Dec 2010     

ludique22
France

Thanks for your help! Some jobs are really difficult to translate because they don �t exist.

I think I �ll go for:

Caretaker  instead of receptionist which does sound too "hotel like" as Sylvie said.

CPE: maybe I should explain what a CPE is to some of you: it �s a person who is at the head of a team of supervisors, who is responsible of discipline, who organises the detentions, the study periods.....
Does Pastoral care coordinator correspond? Isn �t a religious connotation? or should I stick to chief or head supervisor?

Surveillant: supervisor (someone who is there to give late slips to pupils, to collect absence notes from parents and who supervises the moments when the pupils are not with the teachers, at the canteen, on the playground, in the study rooms, in the hall...)

Thanks a lot
Sylvie

7 Dec 2010