Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Same ole, same ole...    

Same ole, same ole...

Zora
Canada

Same ole, same ole...

Okay, I have a small beef, well it isn�t small... but it is a complaint or a couple of complaints.... And I don�t know if my irritation is due to stress or the weather or simply because I do find the things I am about to say a bit annoying to see ALL the time on this wonderful site. (PS - I also know that I am probably just complaining to the walls and this will get lost as soon as somebody starts a welcome thing up or HELP me, where�s my points?".. )

- First of all, and not in any particular order.. this one set me off this morning though...  How many times have I logged on and there is somebody asking about "Multiple Intelligence"? ... Now, if the person was a bit intelligent themselves (excuse the snarkiness here) and not so darn lazy... there is a thing called "GOOGLE" use it, its faster than asking people to "google" things for you... The information on the subject is very well explained on "wiki" with nice little reference footnotes - I suggest people use them...

- Second. This cluttering up the board with things like "Oops, I made a mistake on my worksheet.." Well, I have stopped reading THESE altogether because I really don�t see it�s necessary to inform us that a "HIM should be HER" on a worksheet, or something so mundane... A real error should be reported, a mistake no... if a person double checks what they download they will find the error for themselves... if not, guess what? Your error message will get lost as soon as someone posts a "Help me where�s my points?" and probaby not seen at all...

- Thirdly, asking for us to look up simple GRAMMAR worksheets for them... I mean, come on... can�t you see the side bar with all the grammar points possible? Use it, it�s much easier and faster than waiting for others to do your work for you...

- Fourth -  People looking for members or asking them where they are? Ah, duh... if you are that worried ... perhaps, you should pm (private message) that member and ask them yourselves!

- Fifth - Seeing that great topics get lost or simply ignored by other members. A real Pet peeve of mine... I wish topics would get "bumped" back onto the main page when answered so that the topic doesn�t get lost among the throes of forgotten topics..

- Sixth - an over-usage of animated gifs... while they are sweet and all, they are also a bit unnecessay when the occupy most of the screen... please try and refrain from using them...or at least keep their size to a minimun.

- Seventh - Advertising of worksheets! This is a HUGE turn off.   Don�t do it... please!! If you know somebody LOVES your worksheets, then why not send them a pm instead??

... I think I am done, sorry if I offended anyone... BUT I really needed to get that off my chest.

Linda

7 Dec 2008      

Tere-arg
Argentina

New members  and those who are not so familiar with the internet may be in need of answers which seem obvious to us.

I believe in freedom and equality.

All of us have the same right to ask what we do not know and, I think, that is the purpose of this forum: to share and help each other.

I have noticed that disagreeing make people into "enemies". That is something I will never understand.
Competition? Maybe...but isn�t it silly?
Maybe I am losing something.

Again, tolerance (the world is losing it, if it does exist) is the key.

Hope everybody has a wonderful Sunday!  Smile

7 Dec 2008     

bigbang
Portugal

I can understand you, but if think twice, you�ve done exactly the same you are criticizing. Talking about yourself, your thoughts, your needs.
As I see it, this is a meeting place and people sometimes need to talk about trivial things. Who knows if they aren�t alone, as I am today, facing a pile of tests, looking at the computer screen and reading other people�s messages from time to time? I think there�s room for everything here. Even for beginners who don�t know where to look for things.
Is it cold in Canada? I wish I were there!!!! I�d love to  see snow. In Portugal it�s only raining. Don�t take it too hard. But mind you, I agree with you, I just think if we just talked about methodology and teaching techniques it would be too serious, like a congress and it would lose part of the fun, don�t you? Cheer up. HugWink Bigbang

7 Dec 2008     

flaviatl
Argentina

I agree with you Linda, since on many occasions I was as upset as you are now about finding tons of messages that can easily be avoided.
However, I came to understand that we have different views on everything, and therefore, we use the message board for different purposes. I read bigband�s answer and I must say she�s right, too.
Who are we to decide what can and cannot be posted on the message board?? Why would I think that my messages are more important than other members�?

The idea of coming to an agreement about what to use the message board for sounds really great but I don�t think it�ll work.

Anyway, and just appealing to everyone�s common sense, there�s one thing that can be done: PLEASE USE THE PRIVATE MESSAGE if you are addressing your message to only one member of the site. The same goes for "thank you" and "welcome" messages.

7 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, all
If you don�t mind, I don�t think Linda is denying the right to post messages to anyone. As some of you say, there are a lot of new comers in the site and a lot f old ones. Of course the new member can ask for help. There is no harm when greeting the community.
What Linda (I think always) wants to point out is that for new members as for the old one there are some questions or requests  that can be avoided if we take the time to have look at the numerous tools Victor had put on the front page to help us all find we are looking for.
Why (and this comes very often from old members) ask the colleagues to do something I can do myself ie looking for information or materials using a search engine (google, yahoo,...). I know sb will say we do it in case someone has sth ready. OK good, I agree with this but why the same request several times??
I agree with all and with Linda too. Everyone has the right to greet or congratulate the community (otherwise it would be too serious as someone said; school job is enough) but do it for the community and not for individuals. For individuals there are the private messages and e-mails.
And if we have to do this in a beautiful and attracting way let�s do so but not in an imposing/invading manner and not so repetitively that it becomes harassing or even disgusting.
This forum is for teachers to discuss matters and share ideas and impressions about their job. It is not a political arena to provoke polemics as some people tried to do lately. Moreover, they used the forum to throw their hatred and animosity on innocent teachers who are helpless against the matter they want to point out. "I" was ashamed.

here it is. I hope I didn�t offend anyone.
We are teachers. We are colleagues. Why not friends. Let�s talk. Let�s discuss. Let�s share our ideas and impressions and even our feelings but friendly and with fraternity. And let�s not miss many of the (serious) topics that can be of great importance in our job and especially for new teachers who are still at the start of their careers.

But of course, Let�s have fun in this forum. As I said the seriousness of the workday is enough.

Cheers Everybody.

7 Dec 2008