Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > started a thread yesterday and wanted to continue it... memories and misconceptions    

started a thread yesterday and wanted to continue it... memories and misconceptions

roneydirt
United States

started a thread yesterday and wanted to continue it... memories and misconceptions

It started after a discussion with students and misconceptions of Americans.  Talked about eating at day old bread shops as a kid.  Also talked about dumpster diving with the adult class.  It came up when I was asked how many rooms were in my house.  Still run into those that believe all Americans live in fancy homes like in Desperate Housewives and have lots of money.  I did find it interesting a couple weeks ago a new fad was in Australia, dumpster diving.

With the holiday coming thought about expanding it a bit more not only of memories of mayo sandwiches and twinkies from the day old bread shop but others.

Now I know most remember the toy the "Pound Puppies and when they first came out in the late 80 �s.  My little sister really wanted one and they were coming to a local toy store.  I had been working 6 days a week and going to school but really wanted to get it for her.  I skipped some classes at my high school to go and get one for her.  There was a long line of mostly moms.  When the doors open it went crazy.  Women hitting and punching each other for one of those dogs.  That was shocking and worst it ended up on the news.  I got home from work about 1am and there was my Dad sitting on the edge of my bed.  Got a mild scolding after explaining why I skipped a couple classes at school.  I never got a chance to buy the pound puppie and got my sister some other things.  Christmas morning came and sitting under the tree was not one but two handmade pound puppies (a brother and sister) for my sister and me made by our mom.  I still have that silly looking dog and so does my sister.

Sometimes the little things can leave the longest impression. 
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays....

9 Dec 2010      

Redbull
Thailand

Nice story Rooney,

Mums are the best, wish my Mother was still here! miss her lots.

My best presents ever! was a kid bike and a Go-kart handmade by my Grandfather way back in the mid 60 �s � �good times � � back then.

And yes the little and the simple things in life are the bestWink.

9 Dec 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

Lovely and touching story Rooney.
Mums and dads are the best! I wish ny father was still with us!!!
My best presents ever was a beautiful Nancy doll , a book about Sissi and a vinyl record by Bruce Springsteen ( Darkness on the Edge on Town).OMG!!! I �m as old as Mathusalah!!!Wink
Have  a nice day. Hug

9 Dec 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Roney you must write your memoirs!! I love the matter of fact way you relate those memories which make them even more touching! 

9 Dec 2010     

Jayho
Australia

You are having some nice trips down Memory Lane Roney.  It�s nice to read.

Re the Dumpster Diving - this is an American term adopted in the land of Oz. We call dumpsters skips so another word used is skip dipping.  The term freegan is also used.  This practice has actually been around for a long time and it�s not just restricted to skips (dumpsters).  Most parts of Austalia now have bi-annual verge collections.  This is where you put out all the things you don�t want on your front verge up to one week before collection date.  The local council will then come and take it away, well what�s left of it.  Usually by the time they come all the �good� stuff is gone.  So anything �too good� for the bin (trash) you keep for the verge collection because you know that someone else will make good use of it.  A popular motto is One person�s trash is another person�s treasure.  It�s a great way of recycling.  I already have stuff piling up for my next verge collection ready for new homes. 

In regards to skip dipping for food, big shops now lock their skips so people can�t pinch anything.  There�s too many issues that can lead to legal action.

Cheers

Jayho

9 Dec 2010     

elprofe55
Argentina

your story make me remember an amazing and touching novel I �ve read called Angela �s Ashes.

Frank McCourt novel has been adapted for big screen. Check this link  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zLpf1XDNko

Have a nice day,

Hug
Alex Carr

9 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

My favorite place was the donut factory!
Here we could by the best part of the donut -
THE HOLE!
Yesirreee - the part they punched out- -that little
doughy part dripping with butter and sugar!
That was my childhood heaven.

9 Dec 2010     

Zora
Canada

what a wonderful topic!

A one of my most cherished Christmas memories, was when my mother (or my father) made some prints in the snow and added some ash beside it, to make it look like Santa and his reindeer had come to our house.

Another fond memory, I have is when I received Tinkerbell lipgloss and hand cream set and some colored pencil crayons. It was the best Christmas gift ever!

9 Dec 2010     

morbeyaz
Turkey

can any body help me by downloading my sheet? bec. i m a new user they dont let download sth

9 Dec 2010