Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day - Sitooterie    

Word of the Day - Sitooterie

moravc
Czech Republic

Word of the Day - Sitooterie

Today �s word of the day is
SITOOTERIE

Make your own daffynitions please! No google, wikipedia please...
The wittiest daffynition wins :-D

The end of the contest will be on Sunday 20:00 Spanish time.

11 Dec 2010      

Mariethe House
France

AH!! Moravc, This one is easy!!!
It comes from a French game children play " Je te tiens tu me tiens par la barbichette"
( barbichette= goatie). Two players hold each other �s chin  and look into each other �s eyes trying to show no feeling at all . The first one to laugh looses and the other player is allowed to slap his face ( donner une claquette)
So the whole thing goes: "Je te tiens tu me tiens par la barbichette, si toi tu ris t �auras une
claquette"
Well, you see ,  William the Conqueror introduced this game in England and we know what happened to the French language when it got into the hands of the English!!Wink Of course it got mispronounced and mispelt and the " si toi tu ris" became:" SITOOTERIE"
Thank you for the word Moravc! Have a nice sunday!Smile

edit BTW I don�t seem to see ldthemagicman anymore. DOes anyone know what"s happened, I loved his brilliant participatian on WOD.
@ Almaz WHen I went to Edimburgh long time ago, I did notice someone laughing louder than the others! Could it have been you?Smile

11 Dec 2010     

[email protected]
United Kingdom

It �s Scottish English; since the smoking ban it �s come to mean the tables and chairs in front of a pub where people can relax and enjoy their �habit �.

11 Dec 2010     

Mallerenga
Spain

Well, it �s my first try, so...

It is obviously a word that comes from the times when the English conquered Menorca. In the Mediterranean coast it is easy to find a bench where old people sits and tells each other about their ails, they compare medicines and complain about the disaster of the Medical System. We call it the "banc del SI no fos" because they say: "If it wasn �t for this... If it wasn �t for that..."

That is a SITOOTERIE: A bench where old people wearing black hats and a cane complains about everything.

11 Dec 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Alexander Elwood is obviously close, but no haggis. Mariethe is half-way there, but no croissant.

People from Edinburgh love to go into the centre during the International Festival, have a few pints and laugh at all the �odd fowk �. The weather is often nice enough to sit outside (ootside in Scots) but since most of the prime viewing spots have already been bought or rented by a strange tribe called �rich media whores �, the locals bring along their own chairs and, combining their already impenetrable accents (to a Glaswegian, at any rate) with their ancient, historical connection with France (The Auld Alliance), they have created little bunkers called �sitooteries �; that is places where they can sit ootside, et rient (and laugh) at the poor thespians on the street who only want to be loved and become very famous. 

Hence, sitooterie: an alfresco place for drunken Edinburghers to laugh at non-Edinburghers.

11 Dec 2010     

reeta1
Canada

a sitooterie is a word that evolved from the early 1900s-sitootsieserie. People were too lazy to use all the syllables, so over time, they dropped a few. It was a place at a party where you could sit and rest your feet, or your tootsies, after a wild night of waltzing. It �s an aakward word, obviously coined by an American.

12 Dec 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Sitooterie is the awkward silence after someone (to put it politely) sits down and passes gas. Sit - toot - er - ie - uh ...

12 Dec 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

moody moody LOL
(or maybe not the akward silence after, but rather the situation itself, of someone passing gas while sitting down...)

12 Dec 2010     

imanito
Morocco

@MarietheHouse: so funny Big smile I like it

si - toote - rie is French for if toote can laugh (toote is a frog found in the city of 
Opelousas, Louisiana state)
mmhh, interesting! Imagine if toote can laugh, what would the world be like? Confused

12 Dec 2010