Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day (WOD)    

Word of the Day (WOD)

Zora
Canada

Word of the Day (WOD)

Thanks to "bobbish" and to Mariethe (big hugs Hug) of course, I get to be showered with wacky "daffinitions"!!! Yay!

So.... *drum roll* ... Today �s wonderful word is "marimba"...

Please, no definitions or copy paste internet stuff... and may the best (and wackiest) definition win! Wink

13 Dec 2010      

libertybelle
United States

Well.................as a musician...............I �d say you could easily get those drums rolling
because the side of a drum is called a RIM - so

A Marimba is an Oklahoman slang expression from downtown  Muskogee and was originally pronounced:

My- rim �s - bah - which means the rim of my drum is bad and needs replacing.

13 Dec 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Z0rita

I �ve never come to this, cause my English is a little "weak" for these fights you have around here.

But this one is such a brilliant one
Marimba is the most " Portuguesish" word you can find in our daily vocabulary.

Marimba, the whole word, I don �t need to slice it, means someone is not even there , he/she is not listening, reading, paying any, any of any attention to whatever it may be.

I " marimbo"    = I don �t care, have no intention to care, feeel happy if you are not, don �t care about, please, don �t disturb, go and take care of your business, don �t disturb me, don �t bother, don �t step on my feet, get away, go, go, go, leave me, peace and love and . NOW, , disappear, because I �m not here...............

Well, this is not an answer for this WOD., but , the fact is that you got such an "underground" Portuguese word, well I couldn �t refrain and  explain you what " Marimba " is, in my own native language.

By the way, I am " MARIMBANDO " for this cute game, cause my English is not that good.

MARIMBANDO is the Participle present of the verb MARIMBAR.

My dear Brazilian fellows will, for sure, show up with some other and different "intentions " about MArimba

Hugs, if you don �t want my hugs, I

MARIMBO ( = don �t care )

special kiss Zorita
Linda

14 Dec 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Well, for English....

Mar: to damage

I: first person singular pronoun

MBA: Master �s of Business Administration degree

So "marimba" must be my flawed MBA, perhaps because my university lost accreditation or had a major academic scandal.

14 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

Sounds like a latin dance...�Ol�! 

14 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

Factually, it �s "MARRIMBA-BA-BA..." (you may continue as long as you wish, especially if your beloved daughter is going to marry an old bachelor). That means: "Marriage to a mature (instead of old) bachelor is BAD-BAD-BAD!!!"

Usage in context: "My mom doesn �t approve of my intention to marry Nick, who is 45 years old bachelor. She �s been marimbabaing me about it for three months now. She �ll, probably, dance marimba at our wedding..."Confused

14 Dec 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Marimba!! Caramba! They are words Simbad the sailor ( marin in French ) shouted when he saw Sheherazad in the arms of the calif in Baghdad!

14 Dec 2010     

Roberta Angelo
Brazil

In Portuguese, MARIMBA is a noun, a device used to collect kites when they are falling or on a tree, for exemple. It �s made of a small rock and kind of a cloth wire ( I don �t know the name in English) We throw the Marimba to get the kite. I don �t fly kites, but my brother used to do! Merry Christmas to all of you!

14 Dec 2010