Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > (WOD) ... Word of the Day    

(WOD) ... Word of the Day

Zora
Canada

(WOD) ... Word of the Day

Come on people... send me your "daffy-nitions" for today �s WOD: Marimba ... before it �s too late!! What do you think "marimba" is? Is it a dance? A fruit? A Portuguese word in disguise? Or maybe... it �s just a made up word by yours truly!? Wink Who knows?

In the mean time, as the clock counts down to Spanish midnight, 11:00 GMT, send me your posts quickly before I turn into a pumpkin and pass on the magical WOD dictionary to another unsuspecting "daffy-nition" victim! lol

Here are some definitions of Marimba given today by other "daffy-victims"!

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=25045

Hugs,
L.

14 Dec 2010      

stefemma
France

I think it �s an exotic musical instrument! At least that �s what I think about when I read the word: the sun, the sea, a good cocktail and musicians playing marimbas.....
Ahhhhh, I surely need some holidays.Wink

14 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

In the  story of the Chinese brothers each one has special powers. One has an iron neck; one can stretch his legs; one can survive fire; one can hold his breath forever, and the one our word refers to could swallow the sea. Mar = sea in Spanish, imba = imbibe or to drink. Therefore marimba refers to the Chinese brother who could swallow the sea.

14 Dec 2010     

chalco
France

Just imagine you get drunk to the core and you know that there �s some "mar" (more) "im" (in the) "ba" (bar) to finish up the night !!!Wacko

14 Dec 2010     

reeta1
Canada

Isn �t it a kidn of dance? Like in Dirty Dancing, wasn �t Patrick Swayze mad because the nerdy guy wouldn �t let him dance the marimba at the end of summer sing-along? Wait, maybe that was the lemon mirengua.

14 Dec 2010