Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > ....I NEED YOUR OPINIONS....., PLEASE    

....I NEED YOUR OPINIONS....., PLEASE

cheezels
New Zealand

Personally I would not have the first session as an hour. Let them know that the first session is a 20-30 minute  getting to know you, find out your level, evaluation meeting.

THEN arrange when to start the proper lessons a week later so you have time to actually plan things that are appropriate for your student.

Trying to fill an hour with a student who could be anything really could end up feeling unsatisfactory for both of you and it doesn �t make for a good start.

OR before the first lesson get them to do one of the many online level tests and send their results to you.. or send them a basic level test to fill and and email back. The you at least have some sort of a starting point.

If it was a class situation my advice would be different... but it sounds like a 1:1 regular private student the way you have explained it?

I don �t know if you have any flexibility in doing this, but if you are working for yourself then I would definitely do a short meet and evaluation session before starting real hour long sessions.

16 Dec 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

You ought to get hold of a beginners book - I imagine you can download some from englishtips.org - reward starter is very good, also business starter, headway starter, market leader elementary

If your student is a beginner eh won �t be able to do the things you mention.

I start with very basic presentation of personal information, name, nationality, I �m from,
followed by:
numbers and phone numbers
alphabet and spelling
countries and nationalities
BE

flash cards are essential

with lots of repetition and revision

16 Dec 2010     

caracola90
Spain

I agree with most of the answers posted here. I would like to add something that could make the class easier for you: prepare an easy reading comprehension about somebody presenting himself/herself as an example of how him/her should introduce him/herself, and do it before asking questions and the rest of the stuff. That way I think it would be easier for the person to elicit the vocabulary and structures that s/he has to use and probably the speaking and writing part would be easier too.
Hope this helps!!

16 Dec 2010     

< Previous   1    2