Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > searching for information    

searching for information

rosa_mazur
Russian Federation

searching for information

Dear friends!
I can �t find an answer to such a question:
In lots of countries a Carribbean Carnival is in February or March. In London Carnival is in August. Can anybody explain me why? I can �t find the answer.
Thank you in advance.

16 Dec 2010      

magneto
Greece

Hi! I guess it probably has something to do with this:

"The other important strand was the "hippie" London Free School inspired festival that became the first organised outside event in August 1966. The prime mover was Rhaune Laslett,[4] who was not aware of the indoor events when she first raised the idea. This was a more diverse Notting Hill event to promote cultural unity. A street party for neighbourhood children turned into a carnival procession when Russell Henderson �s steel band (who had played at the earlier Claudia Jones events) went on a walkabout.[5]"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notting_Hill_Carnival#History

Hope I �ve helped a bitSmile

16 Dec 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

In Brazil,

How Carnival date is calculated:
The Carnival date changes every year, because it happens 7 Sundays before Easter. Since Easter also changes every year, we also calculate the Easter.

Easter is the first Sunday after the full moon that occurs on or after March 21st., the equinox day. The equinox is when the day hours are equal to night hours. The same happens on September 23rd.So, the Carnival happens 47 days before Easter.

16 Dec 2010