Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day!    

Word of the Day!

Errie
Japan

@marion,

Are you Dutch? and I really like your definition but did you know that Tulips are originaly from Turkey? and what about windmills, clogs and stroopwafels..Big smile

@Ed: you make me homesick, don �t do this okay?...Wink

17 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

@MarionClap

17 Dec 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Errie, stroopwafels? Homesick? Are you Dutch yourself? (BTW, yes I am Dutch....) Nice bit of trivia; Nowadays the leading �producer� of tulips is actually Japan.........
Ed, How could I possible know something about the side-effects of weed? ;)

Morebeyaz, maybe xerostomania means the condition of those with zero points who are desperate to already xerox something from this wonderful site for their classes and therefore do something which might be considered �stom �, i.e. ask for downloads on the forum which is against the rules and generally tends to get people a little annoyed around here.
My advice to you, first of all read the rules, and then glance thru the tutorials if you need help creating something nice to upload, afterwards be a patient and contributing member and finally be welcome to this most amazing of sites....

17 Dec 2010     

douglas
United States

xerostomania
xero-zero
stoma - mouth (Greek I think)
mania- mania

xerostomania- the fad (trend/mania) among young girls and women of not eating so they can remain thin and look like those sickly-looking "toothpick chicks" that don the covers of magazines all over the world.

Douglas

17 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

Xerostomia is an irrational (almost sexual) attraction to everything made in America.

xeros=xeno+eros (opposite to xenophobia)
to
mia=Made in America

Usage in context: "Xerostomia is a very common phenomenon in my country."

17 Dec 2010     

miss K.
Ukraine

It �s an addiction to making document copies with xerox copies

17 Dec 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Since it is a greek word...and I know what it means....Big smile..

I �ll go for...

xerostomia
I know=(xero) you have a big mouth(stoma)...

Have a Nice Day...

17 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

LOL chud....I was made in America. Must be true  ;-)

17 Dec 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Yes, Greek Professor, it �s a Greek word. It �s also a word I didn �t have to look up first. I was being lazy yesterday.

We �re getting some interesting daffy-nitions here. If you haven �t already submitted yours, you have about nine more hours (about 10:00 a.m. EST at the time of this post) to get on the ball and see if you can beat the great daffy-nitions already here!

Just as a reminder, the word is xerostomia, not xerostomania. I don�t think you�ll find xerostomania in the dictionary!

17 Dec 2010     

reeta1
Canada

what �s a stroophwaffel??

17 Dec 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >