Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Word of the Day, Wednesday 22nd December    

Word of the Day, Wednesday 22nd December

alien boy
Japan

Word of the Day, Wednesday 22nd December

Hi there Ed!

Thanks for the vote of confidence on my loquaciousness... and I promise to keep it short this time LOL, so I shall cease my vaniloquence & dringle no more!

Here �tis, my word for today:

dingdoulers

Enjoy!

Have a wonderful Christmas & a safe, happy & prosperous New Year!

(especially to Ed, Jayho, Roneydirt, jecika, Linda, carinocita, Silke, Mar, mish (I haven �t forgotten, just been outrageously busy!) & all my other old friends Hug)

Oh, & to you too Vickiii Big smile

22 Dec 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

Hello Bryce...You didn �t post your bank account and your social security numbers so that you could get your all expenses paid vacation prize for winning the WOD. What �s up????? ;-) Ed

22 Dec 2010     

alien boy
Japan

Oh!

I was thinking I might donate it to someone who needs it more....

unless of course you �re also going to place a hefty order for the new wonder supplement.... Galimaufrey  Plus, now with added kef to help speed your recovery after a hard day at work!

so maybe if you �ll show me yours I �ll show you mine Wink

besides which, I don �t have a social security number, I �m an alien remember Tongue

22 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

LOL...there are lots of aliens in the States and many have social security numbers. I �ll settle for your bank account number though. Ed

22 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Dingdoulers is a modern expression that really comes from the time of the Great Plague in Great Britian.  Then is was called the DING-DOERS.

These were the men who pushed the hand carts through the plague-ridden streets of London yelling - BRING OUT YOUR DEAD, BRING OUT YOUR DEAD.
They rang small bells - hence the word - Ding - to warn people they were coming.
A very sad time in Britain �s history and a hard job for the Dingdoulers.

22 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Liberty I can see where you get your definition for dingdoulers but there is a slight flaw in your definiton. Yes while it is true that it was the name given to those that went around pushing a cart and ringing a bell (ding)while looking for those that had succumed to the Plague, the second part of the word refers to a stick (doweler) they carried around with them to poke at the corpses to ascertain if they truly were dead or not . So the dingdoulers were those that rang the bell and poked the bodies to make sure they were dead.

In all fairness the definition is an add-on to Liberty�s and should not be considered for the grand prize which I hear is a trip around the world funded by alien boy.

22 Dec 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Well the Dingoo is a type of gaming console. Duelers, of course, are people who fight each other. So dingdoulers are people who play against each other on the Dingoo gaming platforms. Everyone knows that playing too many video games ruins the ability to spell...

22 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Edrod!!!  That �s MY definition - make your own!!  LOL

22 Dec 2010     

juliag
Japan

Hello Alien Boy, long time no see, hope you �re well.

Dingdoulers just has to refer to the game we occasionally played when we were naughty little kids and liked to terrorize the neighborhood every once in a while.

We used to ring the doorbell (ding from ding-dong) and then run away so that when the door was opened there was no one there.

The doulers part comes in because it was a duel to see who could ring the most doorbells without getting caught.

I have to say I wasn �t very good at this as after trying it with my friend Esther once and seeing an outraged mother of a girl from our school come to the door I didn �t have the nerves of steel needed to try it another time.

But the person who did have the necessary nerves of steel was crowned King or Queen of the Dingdoulers and worshipped (albeit from a healthy distance) by the rest of us.

Well, about half of it is true. Of course we didn �t have any coronoations or even nominate anyone King or Queen for being particularly good at it, but this is what immediately sprung to mind when I saw WOD, rather embarrasing as it is. Would not like my students to find out what their (mostly) responsible teacher used to get up to when she was a wee lass. Or at least not this particular activity anyway, short lived as it was.

22 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

dingdoulers - are people who haven �t fully recuperated from the Gong Show.  They used to ding the bell when an elimination of bad talent was made.  As the years have passed the dingdoulers are still out there dinging the bell at various events.  They are trying to recapture the sound and memories of that famous clanging and of all acts they had to endure.  To date they have not captured that moment and that is why they are called dingdoulers. 

22 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Giovanni!  You are so funny!!!!  LOL
That was a good one!!!

22 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >