Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Happy New Year + Collocations - help?    

Happy New Year + Collocations - help?

moravc
Czech Republic

Happy New Year + Collocations - help?

Hello everybody,
Hope you are having a great time!

Right now I am working on a new project. The main aim is to revise building sentences in various tenses, with modal verbs, revising signal words - advebs, building questings and short answers etc.

I have written some frequent verb collocations. Basically I was trying to use the 300 most common verbs in English, so it would be useful for pre-intermediate or upper-elementary students.
Would anyone of you be so kind and read the list and give me some feedback? Do you find all the collocations common and easy to understand?

2 Jan 2011      

moravc
Czech Republic

accept a proposal,  act in a play,  add some sugar,  admit a mistake,  agree with parents,  achieve a goal,  allow smoking,  answer the phone,  appear on TV,  apply for a job,  argue about chores,  arrange a bouquet,  arrive really late,  ask directions,  baby-sit,  bake bread,  bake cookies,  ballet-dance,  beat the eggs,  believe in ghosts,  blow the candles,  blow the nose,  book a table for three,  borrow a pen,  break a bone,  brush the hair,  brush the teeth,  build a doll house,  burn old clothes,  burst into laughter,  buy a present for�Mum,  buy new jeans,  buy some sweets,  call an ambulance,  call police,  carry a gun,  catch a flu,  catch butterflies,  cause an accident,  clean my flat,  clean my teeth,  clean the house,  clear papers off the desk,  climb a mountain,  collect stamps,  comb the hair,  come late,  come to Canada,  commit a crime,  compare two essays,  complain about food,  complete a graph,  confirm cheating,  connect to internet,  contact relatives,  continue dancing until exhausted,  contribute to a magazine,  control a car,  cook dinner,  cook hot meal,  cook supper,  copy a homework,  correct little brother/sister,  cover the face,  create a new design,  cross the street,  cry myself to sleep,  cut my hair,  damage a car,  dance all night,  dance naked,  dance Salsa,  dance waltz,  decide to keep the money,  deliver a parcel,  deny stealing,  describe a picture,  design a boardgame,  destroy a machine,  develop a new game,  die from hunger,  discover a funny thing,  discuss politics,  disappear under water,  divide a high number,  do some gardening,  do some sports,  do some weeding,  do the homework,  do the shopping,  draw a dragon,  dress up like a princess,  drink Coke,  drink champagne,  drive a car,  drive all day,  drive all night,  drive into the city,  drive to school,  drive to work,  drop a cup / a glass,  eat dinner,  eat dinner at KFC,  eat out,  eat spaghetti,  eat spinach,  encourage a shy kid,  enjoy my classes,  expect a visitor,  explain a problem,  fail the test,  fall asleep at eight,  fasten my seat-belt,  feed birds,  feed the dog,  feel lonely,  fight with a friend,  fill in a form,  find a mistake,  find lost jewellery,  find some money,  finish a story,  finish work,  fix the car,  fly a kite,  fly abroad,  fly in a helicopter,  fold a paper,  follow an animal,  forget a handy,  forget my keys,  forgive my friend,  found a business,  gain weight,  get dressed,  get home,  get up early,  get up late,  give a lecture,  give presents to,  go dancing,  go for a holiday,  go for a walk,  go hiking,  go home after lunch,  go on a trip,  go out for lunch,  go shopping,  go shopping for�food,  go shopping with� Jim,  go skiing,  go swimming,  go to bed,  go to sleep,  go to the art museum,  go to the beach,  go to the cinema,  go to the doctor,  go to the gym,  go to the party,  go to work by train,  grow potatoes,  grow up in a big city,  hate sports,  have a big dinner,  have a bubble bath,  have a cup of coffee,  have a house,  have a chat with�,  have a job,  have a shower,  have breakfast,  have dinner late,  have dinner with friends,  have lunch,  have time for�ing,  hear good news,  hear the rumours,  help my sister,  help parents,  hide under the bed,  hit the ball,  hurt my ankle,  change behaviour,  change money,  charge for extra baggage,  chat on the internet,  check the mistakes,  choose a colour,  imagine a castle,  improve speaking skills,  introduce myself,  invite them to the wedding,  it rain,  it snow,  jog at the park,  join the army,  jump high,  keep a promise,  keep quiet,  kick a football,  kill a mosquito,  know a secret,  laugh aloud in class,  lay books on a floor,  lead a discussion,  learn Maths,  leave the room,  lend a pen,  let the dog out,  like music,  listen to the radio,  live alone,  live in a big city,  live in the suburbs,  live with my family,  lose a friend,  lose control,  lose some money,  lose the way,  lose weight,  make a mistake,  make a sandcastle,  make a snowman,  make an appointment,  mark an essay,  meet a celebrity,  meet friends,  meet Kate for dinner,  mind a baby,  miss my friends,  miss the bus to school,  move abroad,  mown the lawn,  need a tissue,  need some stamps,  notice a mistake,  offer some help,  open a tin of sardines,  open a wardrobe,  oversleep on Monday,  own a big car,  paint the living room,  pass the salt,  pass the test,  pay a bill,  pay attention,  pay for a ticket,  pick the friend up,  plan a holiday,  play basketball,  play computer games,  play darts,  play football,  play golf after work,  play with shells,  point at a map,  prepare dinner,  promise to wait,  protect a small kid,  prove me right,  publish a book,  pull a rope,  push a button,  put food in a bag,  raise pets,  read a book,  read a magazine,  read an English book,  read the newspaper,  realize how difficult it is,  receive a valentine,  recognize�,  recommend a book,  record a film on dvd,  refuse his invitation,  release a CD,  remain silent,  remember a joke,  remove the lid,  repeat after the teacher,  replace a flat tyre,  reply a silly question,  report weather,  require medical treatment,  rest all day,  return home at midnight,  reveal the truth,  ride a bike,  ride a horse / donkey,  ring a bell,  rise my hand,  run a marathon,  save an animal,  say something silly,  see a film,  sell computers,  send a postcard,  serve dinner,  set a table,  sew a costume,  shake hands,  share a room with�,  shook the head,  shout during break,  shut the door,  sing a silly song,  sing in the bathroom,  sing in the rain,  sit on a bench,  ski in winter,  skip the classes,  sleep all day,  sleep late,  sleep ON Sunday mornings,  sleep until noon,  slip in mud,  solve a conflict,  sort out the problems,  speak languages,  speak Spanish,  spend all pocket money,  spill salt,  stand all day,  stand on one foot,  start an argument,  stay at a hotel,  stay home,  stay up all night,  stick 2 sheets of paper,  stop smoking,  study all day,  study at night,  study for a test,  study math,  study music,  study together in the evening,  succeed in a test,  suffer from aches,  suggest an activity,  sunbathe,  support the poor,  survive an accident,  swim naked,  swim really fast,  switch on the TV,  take a break,  take a walk,  take an English class,  take pills,  take the bus to work,  take the subway,  talk all night,  talk for 5 minutes,  talk on the phone,  talk to people,  tell a joke,  test the students,  thank for presents,  think of parents,  throw a ball,  tidy the drawers,  tidy the room,  touch the sky,  train kids,  travel abroad,  travel across the ocean,  try some mushrooms,  turn around,  turn left,  understand Physics,  use cream in my coffee,  use public transport,  visit grandparents,  vote a leader,  wait for a bus,  wake up at midnight,  walk 10 miles,  walk home,  walk the dog,  walk to school,  want some sweets,  want to study history,  warn an enemy,  was born in�,  wash my face,  wash the car,  wash the dog,  water the flowers,  watch a football match,  watch a horror,  watch TV,  wear a sweater,  wear shorts,  win a competition,  wish dreams come true,  wonder who s/he is,  work all day,  work at a library,  work at night,  work at weekends,  work downtown,  work far from here,  work hard,  work in a hospital,  work in a restaurant,  work in the suburbs,  work late,  work like a dog,  work near here,  worry about family,  write a story,  write poems, 

2 Jan 2011     

Apodo
Australia

I �m working my way through them.  There are some I would alter slightly.

eg: blow out the candles, ask for directions, blow ones/your (not the) nose etc...complete list coming soon. 8-)

2 Jan 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

I tried to include as many "easy common verbs" as possible.

The task for elementary students would be:
"Find the expressions you already know and form a short sentence in .... present simple" (+third person)
I answer the phone every afternoon, but my little sister doesn �t answer the phone because she is scared of phoning.

2 Jan 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Apodo, you are great!!! Thanks a lot!
I think the list would be suitable for boardgames too. So you guys can expect a big big boardgame in a couple of days.... :-D

2 Jan 2011     

Apodo
Australia

OK. I �ve sent the list as a PM.  8-)

2 Jan 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Thanks a millon!!!!

2 Jan 2011