Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > as ..............as or so .................as in negative sentences     

as ..............as or so .................as in negative sentences

epit
Turkey

as ..............as or so .................as in negative sentences

Hi ,everybody !Hope you had  nice Happy New year feasts or parties !My question is that :Do we use as adjective as or so adjective as in negatives ?  For example ;                                                                                                                         I �m not as tall as Mary or I �m not so tall as Mary .                                                                                                                          I haven �t seen the later one recently .Is it old usage the second one ?Thanks from your answers  from now .Hugs

2 Jan 2011      

libertybelle
United States

I �m not as tall as Mary is the correct answer.
Children sometimes say so tall as - but I rarely hear adults use that expression.

2 Jan 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

I have heard "so" in sentences:
I am so bored.
It is so boring.
The discussion was so interesing...

The only time I heard "so.... as" :
I am not so clever as you think.
He wasn �t so good as you think.

2 Jan 2011     

yanogator
United States

The "rule" as it used to be taught is "Fred is not so tall as John". ("as" for positives, "so" for negatives). This is almost never found in current usage (in the US, at least). We use "as" for positive and negative comparisons.

I �m as old as you are.
My sister isn �t as old as I am.

Bruce

2 Jan 2011     

Apodo
Australia

This is how I use as and so:-

I �m not as big as John. 

John is big, but not so big that he can �t fit into size LARGE shirts.

3 Jan 2011