Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > your classroom    

your classroom

joy_grant
Ukraine

How lucky you are to have computers or IWB in each classroom ! �In Ukraine, only some schools in big cities have interactive boards. It �s true that practically all schools are computerised but unfortunately the computer classes are used mainly for ICT lessons. If I want to conduct my lesson there, I have to book in advance, but even it isn �t guaranteed�Unhappy
But I �m lucky enough to have a DVD player and a TV - quite old model, though- and a boombox, which I use for listening tasks on CDs. The thing is that all the equipment is my own. I bought it with my own money. My school doesn �t help me in teaching. They say it �s my business how to equip my classroom.

3 Jan 2011     

alex1968
Greece

I work at a private school in Thessaloniki, Greece.

Last year I had my own classroom (the kids came to me) but this year they needed it so I have to change classes each time I have a lesson and feel a bit like a bag lady carrying all my stuff around with me Confused and I always seem to forget something I need!!!!Dead

Most classes have interactive whiteboards which I personally use, but some of my older colleagues don �t.  I still like to use white boards for explaining things ~ they �re easier to write on than the IWB :)

Some classes which don �t have IWB have projectors which are also useful :)

My barest class has just a white board & (fortunately) a CD player.

There is an IT class, but I never use it because they usually have IT lessons there, so if I need anything off the net, I make sure to have downloaded it onto a USB memory stick.

I think most public/state schools have either just white or black boards, a DVD classroom & a computer classroom.

I think I �m very lucky to have IWB to use! Big smile

3 Jan 2011     

Greek Professor
Greece

Hi all...

Well we have IWB in every class room...which we use for everything...writing, explaining, showing things...basically ALL the work is done through there...

We have cd players as well, a computer room which each child uses once a week to revise what they have done the week before...

No internet accesses though...so if I intend to use a video or sth..then I have to downloaded it on my USB stick...

I enjoy using the IWB but the disadvantage is that I have to do alot of personal work esp at home.... From writing to grammar points....the good thing is that you will be able to use this each year...

No white boards, black boards....

be well

3 Jan 2011     

miss K.
Ukraine

After reading all your posts, I think Ukrane is somewhere in between. Most commom equipment is a teacher, a chalkboard,a textbook (and, well, I can �t praise the quality of our textbooks), which sometimes comes�with a workbook, and some, usually pretty ancient, posters. These are found�in any�school�as a rule.

Schools may own taperecorders or CD players which teachers may use.

Teachers are responcible for making their own copies or they ask students to make copies in advance.

TVs, DVD players are very rear and is �t very hard to find things to play on them to show to the students.
If there are IWB and beamers there, �usually, will be one per school. Not all school computer labs woud be fit to use for a lesson due to an old equipment and, yes, they are used for for ICT lessons only.

There are places where to buy flashcards but they are not various (the flashcards) and you have to find such places. Somtimes one can order by mail. Teachers are responcible for making their own handout material. some old methodology books say it takes about 5 years to have everything you need.

Sometimes you can buy rather good coloring and activity books (some may even come with stickers) but they are not used in a regular classrooms.

It �s next to impossible find nice and real English CDs or DVDs. Copyrighted DVDs with movies are rather expencive compared to teachers salary.

Sometimes, separate classes buy Oxford University Press books.

3 Jan 2011     

mamefr
Argentina

Let me tell you sthg, you are very lucky!!!! Here in Argentina we have chalk and a blackboard; the teachers are the ones who have to change classes every hour and students stay in the same classroom the whole morning.

We have a couple of well equipped computer �s rooms which makes things quite easy when we have to use the net and when teachers want to launch powerpoints or videos, but we have to book it before hand.

3 Jan 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

a chalkboard,a textbook, a workbook, not very fancy posters
taperecorders or CD players (you have to borrow it and bring it to the classroom)

TVs, DVD players quite common, but there are not many graded films...
non-graded standard English dvds can be bought at newspaper stand for about 3 US dollars, but they are useful for intermediate students (at the age of 17-18). Kids � DVDs  are ALWAYS in Czech only :-( (dubbing) Technically speaking we are not allowed to show those "cheap" films at schools because they are for personal use only...
The level of students is rather low compared to the years of English. They begin studying English at the age of 8 or 6.
Some schools have IWB, mostly in big cities. Small schools in the country have IWB in case EU paid for them...
There is at least one classroom with computers at schools. Some are quite old.

Some cheap English execise books (2-5 US dollars) and colouring books can be bought via http://www.levneknihy.cz/CenikZbozi.aspx?r=1&s=1&n=1&k=61&pz=1
They usually offer about 10-20 English books per year. About 6 books per year are for pre-intermediate or lower. Unfortunately most books are English and Czech. This bookshop buys books from brankrupt shops or publishers so the quality varies... Those books are good enough to buy and offer it at the school library...

All schools have a school library with tens or hundreds of graded readers. Some are really old though (40-50 years).

3 Jan 2011     

< Previous   1    2