Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Breaktime or Break Time? Lunchtime or Lunch Time? Hometime or Home Time?    

Breaktime or Break Time? Lunchtime or Lunch Time? Hometime or Home Time?

izulia
China

Breaktime or Break Time? Lunchtime or Lunch Time? Hometime or Home Time?

Hello dear teachers! Happy New Year to you all!!!
The year just started but I already need your help...
I normally write a timetable for the day in one of the corners of the whiteboard for my primary students. Here is an example:
1. English
Breaktime
2. Maths
Lunchtime
3. Science
Breaktime
4. Art
Hometime
We call breaktimes  �playtimes � or  �breaks � sometimes (not recess). We refer to the  lunchtime as lunch too.
Here is my question:
I am not entirely sure about the spelling. Do you write �breaktime �, �playtime �, �lunchtime �, hometime � as one word or two words?
Thank you
Zulia

3 Jan 2011      

libertybelle
United States

Don �t know about the compound words - but in American schools, the break is also called recess.

3 Jan 2011     

redcamarocruiser
United States

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/breaktime says you can write breaktime as one word, which surprised me. Microsoft word counts breaktime as an error and suggests

break time, which I what I would write. But breaktime seems to be accepted by the dictionary.

Lunchtime is correct.

3 Jan 2011