Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Can you say that?    

Can you say that?

Buzybeee
Poland

Can you say that?

I was wondering if you can say a sentences like "I go cleaning to this old house every day". I know that you can say "I go swimming every day" but can you say "I go cleaning every day".

And can you say "I �m going cleaning right now" meaning that you are answering the questions "Where are you going right now?" or "What are you doing right now?"

I know that propbably the best way to put it is to say: "I �m going to clean" or  "I �m cleaning right now" but I thnink these two have slighly different meaning from what I have in mind.

I know it �s a bit confusing but it �s been bothering me all day. :-)
So can you say: "I �m going cleaning" ? or is it incorrect?

4 Jan 2011      

suhakhader
Jordan

Hi Buzybee,
I know what you mean in "go cleaning", so I think you are right describing a woman or a company(office cleaning) which is ready to go cleaning at offices or houses.

But what we usually say when somebody asks us: What are you doing at the moment?
We reply: I am cleaning my room at the moment.  Actually, we don�t use "go cleaning" in our curriculum or frankly, I haven�t heard  someone saying it or even use it  while teaching.  It �s used for companys or people who are professional and specialized in  cleaning offices. Thank you for sharing us! you made me curious to search and look for new information.

Hope this helps.

4 Jan 2011     

yanogator
United States

No, I would never use the phrase "to go cleaning". I do want to make sure that you understand that when you say "I am going to clean the office", it can have two slightly different meanings. One can be the use of "going to" for the future tense. The other can be the use of "to" for purpose, meaning, "I am going (to the office) for the purpose of cleaning". However you can �t use it as in your example, parallel to "going swimming". It doesn �t work.

Bruce

4 Jan 2011     

Apodo
Australia

No you can �t use it in the same way as �going walking � or �going swimming �, because  �cleaning � needs more explanation. (You could be cleaning your teeth or your shoes) 

But you could say �I have a cleaning job. I �m going cleaning this afternoon. �

You can say: I go house cleaning every day.

4 Jan 2011     

Ba settouf
Morocco

I �d rather not use go cleaning. we say for example go skating, go horse riding, go skiing,etc.
for clean  we say I �m cleaning to express an action happening at the present moment or I �m going to clean the house to express future intentionSmile

5 Jan 2011     

Buzybeee
Poland

Thanks for all your answers Smile

5 Jan 2011