Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > let ´s share our motivation ways    

let ´s share our motivation ways

Glamorous
United Arab Emirates

let ´s share our motivation ways

hello everybody

it was very long time since my last login to this great site

today i  would like to share with you the way which i used to encourage my students during the lesson

i made this laminated card  for each group
whenever any group did a good work or attended the class first or was very co-oparative with each other or when they brought all their materials with them

i give them a star

they have to collect stars until they reach the top

if they reach the top

they will go in school trip out side the city

so now tell me your ways to motivate your students

8 Jan 2011      

Renata Lioness
Poland

I think this is a great way to motivate students. I teach students aged from 10 to 13 and I use many strategies to encourage  and motivate children to learn English (pluses, points, awards, etc. ) and these strategies seem to work very well and   I �ve never had problems with students �  misbehaviour. However I have a problem with one "nightmare" class  where  most  students definitely are not motivated no matter what I do and believe me that I prepare for the lessons with this class ten times more carefully than in other classes. Most students are very rude and naughty, they misbehave and ignore my instructions and requests, nothing seems to work. I do everything I can to make my lessons interesting but I �m getting more and more discouraged. Does anyone have similar problems and what are your ways of dealing with them?

8 Jan 2011     

amirasanaa
Algeria

hi Dear Renata,
             THrough my 20 years of teaching, I can you thta each 2 years ,I face a similar problem.Little by little,I started finding the way to make them more eager to work and more motivated.THe fisrt step, while explaining your lessons and your students making noise or being noisy; just stop talking and start looking at them ( in a way that make them uncertain about you are going to do), Go to your seat and sit down and at the same time looking at them unexpressingly.keep like this until the session ends up without any word from you.The following session make them understand that you are not going to teach since they don �t want to.and have a seat with this expression ( when you decide that I have to explain just tell me).and no word again and even they make lot of noise don �t interfere, but tell them I m paid at the end of the month whether i teach you or no.Believe me your class wil be 1st astonished ,2nd will be divided into groups:one against you and your reaction

8 Jan 2011     

maggie 35
Turkey

THANKS FOR YOUR CREATIVE IDEA. I WILL USE THIS WAY . I THINK IT WILL BE VERY USEFUL.

8 Jan 2011     

tulka
Slovenia

When everything else fails, I sometimes do this (but do be careful, please): I make a bet with my pupils that they can �t spend a week (or month, or...) without interrupting me (or insulting others, or chatting, or arriving late - whatever the problem). If they succeed, I promise to do something crazy.

Be careful with the �reward � as I �ve lost the bet almost every time. As I consequence, I once had to bake 100 cookies for the class... I also had to join them in a snow battle after school (that was so much fun!!!), I had to come to school wearing a skirt (I never do that) and I once had to order 10 pizzas to school.

The best/worst bet I �ve ever lost was in a class of 36 students which was a complete disaster. I bet that they wouldn �t all finish the school year (that at least one of them would fail). I had lost all hope, they were so terrible. So when I offered the bet - I couldn �t imagine in my darkest dream that they would be encouraged to win so much... And it was one of the best moments of my career when, at the end of the school year, I attended their prom - with green hair!Embarrassed

8 Jan 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

tulka: LOL Clap
Any pictures of you with green hair??
I love your bets ....

9 Jan 2011     

Glamorous
United Arab Emirates

any more ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for those who responded

9 Jan 2011     

ironik
Australia

that bet idea is just great! but I �m gonna have to find a less crazy but encouring offer to make them get to motivate. thanks tulka and everyone, you sure are inspiring! :)

15 Jan 2011