Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Monday, Tuesday...pronunciation    

Monday, Tuesday...pronunciation

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Monday, Tuesday...pronunciation

Hello, dear colleagues.

I have a bit of problem. My daughter attends  the same school where I teach and today I had a little argument about the pronuciation of days. I always pronounced "mandei", tju:zdei etc., yet her teacher insists on "Mandi", tju:zdi"... I don �t think it is right but I want to be sure before I �ll go to talk to her. This is not the first time I will talk about different pronunciation and I feel really uncomfortable every time I do, but as we sometimes speak English at home  I want my daughter to speak properly. Could you tell me if the teacher is right with her pronunciation and if so, where is it being used (America, Australia...).
 Thank you very much for your help, Michaela

9 Jan 2011      

blunderbuster
Germany

Both are right.

This one: " ˈmʌndeɪ" is far more common though.

9 Jan 2011     

jecika
Serbia

Oxford Advanced Learner �s Dictionary and Collins Cobuild English Dictionary suggest that both /dei/ and /di/ are acceptable
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English suggests only /mandi/

best of luck

9 Jan 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Thank you very much for your answers, it helped me a lot.

Hugs, Michaela

9 Jan 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

My friend from America pronounces "mandi", tjusdi ...,
"dakte" is doctor etc...
Those people brought up in England would probably pronounce it like you "mondei, tjusdei"...

Both are perfectly correct although the first pronounciation sounds a little bit more informal / slangish...

If you have problems with the teacher of your daughter, teach your kid the pronounciation you find ok... It will do no harm... Avoid conflicts with her teacher, if possible...
The more important issue is  to teach the kid to love English and expose her/him to a lot of vocabulary. The vocabulary taught at Czech primary schools is NOT ENOUGH!
Teach her songs, rhymes, watch kiddy videos, read simple stories etc...
If she pronounces 5 words incorrectly, that�s fine...
The more imporant thing is whether she likes English, understands spoken English and is willing to learn more...

10 Jan 2011     

katpak
Poland

When it comes to standards of RP, Monday/-di/ is favoured:
click http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/sounds/case-studies/received-pronunciation/vowel-sounds-rp/
and choose Edit->Find-> days of the week

I also know there were some websites which gave estimated percentage of how common a given pronunciation was used by native speakers. If anyone knows them, paste a link please.

18 Jan 2011