Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What happened to WOD????    

What happened to WOD????

edrodmedina
United States

What happened to WOD????

I �ve been ill for the past few days and I come back and can �t seem to find the WOD... Que pasa?

10 Jan 2011      

tastybrain
Taiwan

This is my fault. I send my sincerest apologies to everyone. I posted a new WOD, but haven �t chosen a winner yet.

My entire family and I (including my 7 month old son) fell sick over the weekend and I �ve had my hands full taking care of them.

I �ll go choose the winner now. I �m very sorry to have made the Word of the Day into a Word of the Extended Weekend!!! Please don �t hate me forever! I �m only human.

10 Jan 2011     

tastybrain
Taiwan

I �ve chosen the winner now..... It �s douglas (as I posted in the original thread). Just thought I �d add it here since the old thread isn �t on the front page of the message board anymore.

10 Jan 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

you �ve been playing this for quiet some time, can we try another game?  

10 Jan 2011     

imanito
Morocco

ed and tastybrain I hope you are feeling better .

Liz I love your idea of playing a new game but please keep WOD alive cuz I love it and I think it �s really interesting and beneficial.

10 Jan 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

How about something along the lines of updating Ambrose Bierce �s The Devil �s Dictionary? There �s potential for adding to the corpus, if nothing else :)

(eg  ACQUAINTANCE, n. A person whom we know well enough to borrow from, but not well enough to lend to. A degree of friendship called slight when its object is poor or obscure, and intimate when he is rich or famous.)

You can obviously be as sardonic, satirical, sceptical or even as sarcastic as you want - as long as it �s humorous and not racist or sectarian (small-mindedness shouldn �t be tolerated either, but that �s a hard call here...). An example close to home:

ESLprintables: to all intents and purposes, a website where English teachers can exchange resources and ideas. In reality, an insidious, virtual drug which renders its users (known as �members �) subject to a constant compulsion to �turn on � other teachers to its �delights � (warning: this may, or may not, cause sleeplessness).

OK, not particularly funny, but you get the idea.

Anyway, someone (perhaps the winner of the last WOD) could kick off with a word and we could take it from there?  Or not - it obviously requires a wee bit more thought than just splitting a word up into its constituent parts, recombining them and coming up with something �daffy� or �hilarious�.

Alex

10 Jan 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

That reminds me of Flaubert �s Stupidiarium ( Dictionary of Received Ideas, perhaps?). Excellent proposal!

11 Jan 2011     

magneto
Greece

I loved The Devil �s Dictionary! Great idea! Thumbs Up
P.S.: Just found some extracts from Dictionary of Received Ideas on Wikipedia...Must find the book asap...Thanks for bringing it up, Pilarmham!

11 Jan 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Or maybe something like we have in Portuguese, I don �t know if there �s the same in English:

cigarette - a small piece of paper with an ember at one side and an idiot at the other.

11 Jan 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

A little bit funnier English version of your definition:

cigarette:  a roll of tobacco with an ash on one end and an ass on the other.

I also love The Devil �s Dictionary and have it on my Kindle.

11 Jan 2011