Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day for other time zones    

Word of the day for other time zones

joy2bill
Australia

Word of the day for other time zones

I �m reposting this for those who live in the opposite time zone!
Oh dear, my worst nightmare has occured! I have been tagged!
Okay, thinking cap on.
Thank goodness my intelligent young son is with me.

So, drum roll, please. The new word is:

sophomania

Please remember the rules of the game: don �t give any dictionary/internet definitions, we want your own creative (maybe goofy) ideas about what it could be.

I �ll try and choose the winner this evening (morning) whatever! 
Good luck
Joy

13 Jan 2011      

roneydirt
United States

In the News today:
                At a local mall today it was sophomania:
Today at the local woman �s boutique at a local mall chaos rung out as the spring fashions went on sale.  It appears there was a problem with a customer.  It seems they couldn �t find her size so the customer went beserk on staff and other customers.  Several received only minor injuries but there was two that had to be taken immediately to an emergency nail salon for their injuries.  It is not known the size the women witnesses named as Sophia and why she went maniac in the shop.  More information will be given as further details are given.

----------
or Sophomania is the fans of Princess Sophia in England...

13 Jan 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Sophomania

ph = f sound, so so"ph"omania is the URGE of SUFFOCATING your students, when they have just said the wrong answer for the zillionth time... this is the disease teachers often are infected with at their workplaces and is highly contagious!

13 Jan 2011     

juliag
Japan

the derrogative term used about someone with a fixation with trying to appear sophisticated at all times.

Jen: Did you hear about Stacy? Did you know she wore an evening dress and pearls to her son �s baseball game. I felt so scruffy beside her.

Tina: Oh, don �t worry about her, she has a sophomania!

13 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

What you experience when you go to one of the jazz drummer, Ed Soph �s concerts.

13 Jan 2011     

imanito
Morocco

That �s used to describe computer geeks who have a craze for Sophos (industry) softwares and hardwares.

"Arwen is an extreme sophomaniac. He spent 12 000 $ on Sophos softwares this week only."

13 Jan 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

As usual the replies were fantabulous but my favourite was from Mar0919 who gave this explanation.

ph = f sound, so so"ph"omania is the URGE of SUFFOCATING your students, when they have just said the wrong answer for the zillionth time... this is the disease teachers often are infected with at their workplaces and is highly contagious!

The actual definition according to Dictionary.com is;
unrealistic belief in one �s own intelligence; delusion of superintelligence

Congratulations and commiserations to Mar0919 for having the task of choosing a new word.
Cheers Joy

13 Jan 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Oh my God!!!! Wow, what an honor, and what a challenge! Mmmm.... I just got home, so give me a few minutes to post the new word... mmm.... mmmm.... (my hamster is working!)
Will be right back!!!!

13 Jan 2011