Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > going back to Blunderbuster ´s post    

going back to Blunderbuster ´s post

Mariethe House
France

going back to Blunderbuster ´s post

I thought Regina �s post yesterday was very interesting but I saw it late, in fact just before it disappeared.I would like more people to see my answer and respond to it. Thank you and thank you Regina for starting such a topic of great concern.      

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=25710

Why do you teach?

Mariethe House
France

I taught for most of the generous or gratifying  reasons you gave until the end of my career (5 years before).

Then I changed schools and was confronted to a horrible headteacher who demolished me in the parents and children �s mind and I nearly abandoned teaching because of that! And I can assure you I had been a dedicated teacher up to then! It was really painful but it made me come down to reality! So I joined a teachers union who defended and supported me and as a result she was given the sack!
I think general opinion nowadays often relies on our generosity and desire to help children to pull us down at the first occasion and shoot at us, dedicated teachers .
Our job is difficult and tiring and we mustn �t put up with all the denigration that goes on to compensate for the lack of structure  and ambition from the governments ( for france anyway)for their Educational system.
I am retired now and happy to tell you that I ended my career in a way that I deserved: peaceful, motivated �,confident and happy..... because I had the courage to stand for my beliefs and stop people ( who didn �t know anything about education) tell me what I had to do .
Stand up for your rights!!! I guess someone else said that before!!LOL

16 Jan 2011      

lisacao
Italy

Thanks mariette for your words. I �m living the same experience you had: a headmaster who has no idea of what teaching children means. I teach very young children (3-6 years) and it �s a very tiring work but children give me joy and the energy to go on teaching!

16 Jan 2011     

class centre
Belarus

I can say the same as the previous teachers have said. But I will not just repeat it, although it �s absolutely true!
But what I �m sure about is the following: to avoid all (  most of them )unpleasant things in teaching it is best to teach privately. In that case we can be as free as creative as independent  as we are able to. The only difficulty is parents and children �s prolems which we are supposed to face anyway. But being private teachers we  definitely can.
I am a happy teacher just because of those reasons, including what has been mentioned before.
Good luck!

16 Jan 2011     

blunderbuster
Germany

Marieth�, it might be a bit too personal, but what was is excatly that that headteacher said about you? Some of us might be able to learn from your experience.

Regards

16 Jan 2011     

agnesk75
France

Hello there! Marieth�, I ve been through the same events as those you tell about in your post, I was plagued / tormented by my headmistress a few years ago. I told the unions about it but unfortunately, nobody helped me. I just changed schools when it was possible for me to do so, and since then , I �ve been a very happy teacher! This experience taught me a lot, and I personnally think that some heads are just useless , cruel ...I"ve also noticed that some women with too much power and a poor social and family life tend to be overcome by their bitterness and therefore harrass other people! As teachers, we are always assessed, judged, inspected but I think some heads should be assessed  and inspected more often too in order to avoid this kind of troubles! Anyways, the way our Educational system works in France isn �t right as you pointed out...
The only positive aspect of this kind of experience is that you learn more about yourself and learn to become stronger! Thanks for your testimony! Have a great week end!!! xxxx

16 Jan 2011     

roneydirt
United States

As there are good teachers and bad ones there are good schools, good bosses and bad ones.  I almost didn �t graduate, thank goodness the Dean and two supervisors stopped by my school and were listening in on a meeting or there would have been three interns not graduating.  It seemed we three were the wrong sex to be teaching.    I do find most bosses in schools need they be private institutions or public lack any teaching skills or it is only on paper with little or no actual classroom time.  There are some real ones and you will find them sneaking into a class when ever they can to take a class to teach.  It doesn �t help that some of the old world bias toward teachers still prevail so it adds to a little more difficulty.  We must remember no matter the country we are basically political toys for some big wigs to show they care with temporary band-aids to help the schools.  In America I notice a lot of the political activist for teachers and students that were teachers were placed on possible layoffs.  But still encourage others to speak, for if we don �t speak....  well we all know what could happen.

16 Jan 2011     

Mariethe House
France

regina
it would be too long to explain... harrassment is everyday �s little bits that destroy you after a while!
She was socially the friend of well to do families in the village ,who assured her of their support, only if she would manage the school, the way they wanted. ( i must say i was in a very traditional school where teachers taught in a very classical way ie. you listen and take notes and I am the one who knows!And I started with group work, mixed ability, evaluating competences ... That was too much!)
for example, one of the mothers asked me in a class meeting why I was bothering about weak pupils, anyway they would be always ignorant and why did I not spend more time giving more attention to the brightest kids ie. her son, ? To which I replied that being in a state school i was paid to take care of all the children. The headmistress was there and said nothing. I heard later, through the secretary of the school who had seen a mail from that parent to the Head ( what shall we do for mrs House �s case, and answer from the Head  that she should  gather evidence against me so that she could contact the Academy and have me given a sanction!!
It lasted a year! But fortunately, I was not the only one who was suffering from her harrassment and we decided to fight back!
I went to the Union and I asked for an inspection. The woman  Inspector was fantastic! She approved of everything I had done or was doing saying I was a bit too demanding as far as achievement was concerned (!!!)and said I was to carry on with my teaching the way I was !
Othe rthings she did: She would retain information from me, not answer when I said hello, refuse my sanction for a kid who had been insolent, She also nailed the desk in the secretary �s office so that she could not move it round the way she wanted it... She divided people by giving some, some privileges and ..... well, the list is long!!
And Agnes, I signed at the CGT ! They are the only ones to have guts!Smile
Thank you anyway, regina for opening this thread. if you want more advice, please pm me!

16 Jan 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Good for you Mariethe, for fighting for what you believe in.  Too many teachers just take all the negativity from their superiors and do nothing about it!  I am proud of you!

16 Jan 2011     

blunderbuster
Germany

Oh my, Marith�, there actually ARE people like that? Sorry to hear that. 

16 Jan 2011     

juliag
Japan

Dear Mariethe,

What an awful experience that must have been for you. I �m so glad you had the support of some people around you and the inspector and that you could fight for your rights as a teacher. The expereience must have helped make you even stronger as a person, but it �s such a shame that you had to go through it.

In answer to Regina, although I kind of fell into it I teach for the same reasons as most people mentionned in the earlier posts.
- It �s fun and I enjoy my job.
- I love it when I can help people to understand something they didn �t before.
- It �s creative.
- It �s a job in which I can be constantly learning something new and developing myself.
- It �s so much fun to spend time around children (most of the time!).
- It keeps me constantly stimulated because it �s such a varied job.

and so on.
Hug to both of you
Julia

16 Jan 2011