Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > THE SIMPSONS CONTROVERSY: PLEASE, WHAT DO YOU THINK?    

THE SIMPSONS CONTROVERSY: PLEASE, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

JUANBEGI
Spain

THE SIMPSONS CONTROVERSY: PLEASE, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

As you know, I am a Spanish teacher who loves the Simpsons. Many of my worksheets here have got images about the yellow family. I think they are widely known by teenagers and a good resource to present students grammar and vocabulary, needless to say the great number of pedagogical teachings (linguistical and cultural...)that full episodes have to present students. However, I have been noticing that some of my colleagues are reluctant to my methodology. I seemed to have heard from them that the family is a bad example for students and that many researches have found that they have got a negative influence on teenagers. The true is that students love my worksheets but I don �t know what to do. I feel the pressure of those colleagues. I look forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks for spending your time reading this topic. Help me!! :)

16 Jan 2011      

ELOJOLIE274
France

I used the simpsons in class, but I wouldn �t use full episodes all the time... I always try to teach civilization/history/culture to my pupils and I think it �s important they learn something new everyday - and I imagine that my pupils would get quickly bored if we used the simpsons every day in class - but maybe i �m wrong...
moreover it �s important that my pupils listen to a wide variety of accents - American (north, south...), British, Canadian, Australian... - if they only listen to the simpsons how can they learn to understand other accents?
as for the "bad influence" the simpsons have, i �m not sure it �s true, but I consider they can watch it at home every day, so I think talking about once or twice a year is more than enough...
but it �s just my humble opinion...

16 Jan 2011