Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Oxford vs US English Question-Kathy    

Oxford vs US English Question-Kathy

douglas
United States

Oxford vs US English Question-Kathy

Hi Everybody,

I have a question concerning the pronunciation of the name "Kathy". 

In the USA the "a" is pronounced the same way as in the word "cat".  I have a large number of students who want to pronounce the "a" as in the word "play". 

The mistake is so common that I have begun to wonder if it isn�t an Oxford/USA thing.
Can anybody shine some light on this subject for me?

Thanks,
Douglas

21 Jan 2011      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Douglas, 
Kathy is pronounced the same on both sides of the pond, (or Caffee in some parts of London and south east England). There is however the name Katy which was very popular in the UK a few years ago and that is pronounced Kaytee. Both are short versions of Catherine so I guess that is where the confusion arises.

I hope this helps

21 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

I suspect you �re right on this one Frank--this is the same thing I �ve been telling my students all along, but when a mistake becomes SOO common, one has to start wondering if he himself isn �t wrong.

Douglas

21 Jan 2011     

Lancillotta:
Italy

Hi,
try here:

I hope it helps.

Sabrina

21 Jan 2011