Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day    

Word of the day

MarionG
Netherlands

Word of the day

Sorry, was out teaching all day, had a great day actually, the kind that makes you feel you �re in the right line of business anyway...
The word for today is pilgarlic

here are some of the entrees so far (ESL was down most of yesterday afternoon...)

See if anyone can overcome the immedeate �garlic � association....

I �ll check later today, my daughter has a piano concert in school today which is kind of special since her hand was in a cast until last week....so she will be playing a piece for two hands with only one hand.. It sounds kind of weird but it shows determination! (if not hers than at least the determination of her teacher! :)

Have to run, Enjoy, Marion

25 Jan 2011      

alexcure
Poland

Hi Marion,

You seem to have time for everything, I often read your messages most of them belong to the longest here ;-)). Thank you, it �s a very nice idea of yours.

One of my young students, as I play a guess the meaning game with them, trying to get a point said: "pilgarlic is the garlic eaten by pilgrims" ;-)), another one suggested as follows: "well, to my way of thinking it �s a kind of pill which is to be taken instead of garlic as garlic stinks" ;-)))

The garlic association isn �t a bad one, though. My youngest student, aged 10, compared garlic head to her granddad �s head with a serious statement: " Now I know, my granddad is as bald as a garlic head" ;-)))

Have a nice day

Alex

PS. Good luck for your daughter!

25 Jan 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Hey Marion..Good luck to your daughter. I hope everything goes well. If she plays with one hand, will the audience applaud with one hand also? ;-) Ed

25 Jan 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

I �m sorry to say my daughter inherited the musical talent of her father (he �s a professional musician) but the stage fright from me and she completely froze......But, ED, the audience saw how bad she felt and gave her a roaring applause anyway...That �s the fun part of a concert where the entire audience is made up by parents of other nervous kids... :)

25 Jan 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

I have no musical talent whatsoever so I greatly admire those who do and I know how terrible stage fright can be. To this day I hate speaking in front of a crowd (students don �t count).

25 Jan 2011