Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Motivating very young children    

Motivating very young children

maribelinna
Spain

Motivating very young children

Hello everybody,
I�m writing because I need help about how to motivate three very young children, being one 7 and the other two 4. The thing is that they have started to misbehave and mess around just for a couple of months and I�ve started to think that something is wrong with my lessons. I think that the problem is that I�ve been teaching two of them for two years now. They are brothers and they are simply brilliant. This year, a new boy has joint the lesson. He is slower, more absent-minded than my first pupils, who are very clever and learn amazingly quick!!!! so, I occassionally have  to introduce vocabulary to the new boy, which have already been worked with the others and I think it is the moment when they start to misbehave stopping the new boy to learn properly. What could I do? What kind of activities could do with them to have all of them engaged? I usually start my lesson with flashcards of a certain topic (food, classroom objects, animals, weather, jobs, clothes, etc) and we play different games (go fish, bluff, Simon says, etc) to encourange them to speak, then they usually do some craft (the youngest ones as they can�t write yet) or worksheet (for the eldest one) and finish with some sort of board game or a bingo, which they love so much! Sometimes, I read a tale. I would like to use videos or songs but unfortunately I haven�t got a computer available, so the options are a little bit limited, any ideas, please?
Thanks in anticipation,
Maribel.

26 Jan 2011      

readingaol
Portugal

Try something like "Draw a monster" and say, three red eyes, two green legs... Or something simple, like a Blue bird and they have to draw it. I like playing Memory game with FC. I also play basketball, if they get the right word, they take a shot at the paperbasket with a small ball.
Try also miming, sounds...

26 Jan 2011     

readingaol
Portugal

Pictionary is also fun, one of the students picks a FC and has to draw it with his/her eyes cloed, left handed... The others have to guess.

26 Jan 2011     

suhakhader
Jordan

Hi Maribel and Readingaol,

It seems that Maribel has mixed ability class, though they are only three. I think that Readingaol gave you nice ideas to apply in your class.  Actually, I have been teaching the third grade since 2008, at the beginning it was terrible for me! But I surfed the net and printed out a lot of strategies that suit pupils in this grade. Your methods are nice and suitable for their ages , but you might have missed something. You said that one of your pupils is not as clever as the other two. Now, you need to get him involved and develop his skills...the others ..what are they doing while teaching that boy???
If they are not busy in other activity, they will make things upside down and get noisy!!
You won �t be able to control them and get satisfied with your achievements.

That slow boy need simpler activities than the two intelligent boys. It �s some how difficult, but I know you are able to get things on the right track to fulfil your target.

Reading and you have said most of the nice games and strategies, thank you!

I have a good site that might help you with this very small group of students:

You may subscribe in this nice site and get newsletters on some strategies and nice games.

Please, if anyone of you have different games or new strategies for 26 pupils in a small class, send them to me, because I am in need of new things to get  my students involved and enjoy the lessons.

Good luck and thank in advance!

Suha

26 Jan 2011     

maribelinna
Spain

Hi Readingaol and Suhakhader,
Thank you very much for your contribution, which is, no doubt, very useful. I will try to apply these tips because as Suhakhader has said this lesson has become a really challenging one!!!! and they are only three....I can�t imagine 26!!!!! 
I will check the website you recommended me. Meanwhile, I will give you the links of other websites that can be useful for you both,
http://www.kizclub.com/ (I use this mainly for paper crafts for very young children, they loved them!!!! The problem is that there are aren�t too many!!!!!)
http://www.mes-english.com/ (for me, it�s the most useful website for kids, you have everything in it, flashcards, games, worksheets and there are a great variety of topics and you can make your own games if you like , other ones are ready to print, it�s fantastic!!!)
http://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/en/ (beautiful tales and useful resources)
http://www.barryfunenglish.com/index.php (this is wonderful as well, but you have to pay a small fee to use the best resources)
http://www.esl-kids.com/worksheets/worksheets.html (this is very useful and easy because of its simplicity. If you click on "games" you will have a list of tips for games in alphabetical order that other people have done in class, there�s plenty of them!!!)

I hope it works.

Maribel.

26 Jan 2011