Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD for 6/2/2011    

WOD for 6/2/2011

Mar0919
Mexico

WOD for 6/2/2011

OK.....ready?!?!?!? The word for today isssssssssssssss:

floccinaucinihilipilification (isn �t it just absolutely awful? LOL)

I can �t even pronounce it, so here �s the suggested pronunciation, sounds more like a tongue twister!!!

pronunciation: flockə-nowsə-nəhələ-pələ-fək-ation.

Everybody knows the rules of the game, so just get you imagination rolling!!!

Have fun!!!

Mar

6 Feb 2011      

maryse pey�
France

OUPS !!!!

Let �s try !

flo for flowerbed
c for Cinderella
ci for circus
nau for nautical
cin for cinema
i for impossible
hil for hilarious
ip for ipsilon
ili for ILIPHANTESCNOUS
ification for growing more

Now let �s write the story :

Once upon a time in a flowerbed where Cinderella used to sleep dreaming at the circus which theme was nautical cinema - she was of course foreseeing the future because this idea was impossible at this very epoch - the flowers were hilarious and then took the ipsilon shape in a very ILIPHANTESCNOUS rigidity and this was amplified by Cinderella �s laughs...

Have I been clear enough or would you like a picture ?

6 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Maryse, you DO have a vivid imagination! LOL! very nice job!

let �s see what our colleagues come up with!!!

6 Feb 2011     

alexcure
Poland

;-) I �ll try not to read Maryse before I write my story so as not to be influenced by her imagination ;-)

My umpteenth floccinaucinihilipilification!

I have been always against floccinaucinihilipilifications! You might wonder why... Well, if you had to experience the umpteenth one in quite a short period of time you �d pity me at once.

Tomorrow I am leaving for FLOrence, if you think it �s my vaCATION you close to the truth but although it sounds fantastic, romantic and so on it is not so funny as it can be imagined at the very beginning.. Well, without any doubt I will have my cin CCIN time with my nice Italian friends having absolutely fantastic dinner with a glass of wine some time after my floccinaucinihilipilification.... Before, however, I will have to travel 17 hours on an uncomfortable coach via AUstria (if the people on the coach are nice I can experience a cin CIn toast even there... but as I know life I will surely have a NIHILIstic company... anyway if I don �t have to take any PILI to reduce my inevitable headache it will be good. After the journey I will need an intensive FIsical therapy... such as jogging along the river Arno ;-) for at least a week (which could be quite nice provided I don�t catch a cold during my floccinaucinihilipilification ;-).

Now you know why floccinaucinihilipilifications are nothing pleasant, nothing to be envious about, really...

6 Feb 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Hi Alex,

What a bad travel indeed !! Maybe you can go to Venice instead of Florence ? You will travel faster and more comfortably... I swear... Lol !!!

6 Feb 2011     

lamyaa
Egypt

maryse pey�: i just love what you wrote ,sooo talented :))Clap

6 Feb 2011     

imanito
Morocco

OMG!   I must be  floccinaucinihilipilificating ! Wacko        

6 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

LOL  Imanito! Come on! give it a try!!!

6 Feb 2011     

imanito
Morocco

LOL I know ! But the first thing that I thought about when I saw the word was "I must be hallucinating" so hallucination is synonymous with whatever it is ...you know ...floccinaucinihilipilification  

PS: I have a pic ...I�ll PM it to you Wink

6 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

LOL   loved your pic, imanito!

6 Feb 2011     

FunWithWords
India

I don �t quite remember who, but I think someone (probably famous) described the word �feeling � thus:

Feeling is a feeling that you feel when you feel that you �re feeling a feeling that you �ve never felt before !!!!

Borrowing inspiration from this, I �d say

floccinaucinihilipilification

must be something that happens when something or someone  floccinaucinihilipilificates 

(In other words, this is WAY above my head.) LOL

(Okay, I �m ducking for cover NOW !!!!)

6 Feb 2011