Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WOD 07/02/2011    

WOD 07/02/2011

imanito
Morocco

WOD 07/02/2011

Good morning everyone,

Thank you mar once again and I am happy that you liked my daffynition and picture. 

Today �s word is  Lackadaisical .

I know you love it Wink I can already see you smile Tongue

you have the word...so....go nuts !!!

7 Feb 2011      

lamyaa
Egypt

lack: shortage of something
daisy: a type of flowers

kinda reminds me of the poem : i wonder �d lonely as a cloud :)) when the peot was so cheered up by the daffodils

this is someone who is upset coz he cant  find daisies around ...
He is in such a lackadaiscal condition that no one can cheer him up:(

7 Feb 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Hi dear, strange that you don �t know the famous Flower Restaurant in Los Angeles ?!?!

LACKADAISICAL means Los Angeles Cooking At Daffodils Daisies Irises in a musical way...

Cheers ! Enjoy your meal !

7 Feb 2011     

roneydirt
United States

the orchestra conductor was lackadaisical because he lacked enough daisy music for the Daisy festival...  guess they should have chose a different flower...

7 Feb 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Everyone is familiar with Dr. Frankenstein and of course everyone knows of his henchman Igor. Few though, know of Daisical his other henchman or lacky. Lacky Daisical was even clumsier than Igor. He couldn �t tell the difference between a leg and an arm. We can only imagine what Frankenstein �s monster would have looked like had the good (some might say bad) doctor used Daisical instead of Igor.The  lacky Daisical became synonymous with incompetence and so the two words were combined to form the word lackadaisical used to describe a person possessing great ineptitude.

7 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Lackadaisical

laca = spanish for hairspray

adai = once a day

sical = popSICLE

There was once a little boy whose obsession was to maintain a popsicle without melting for one whole day, day after day he tried to lick it slowly so it would last. But his mom would only buy him a popsicle once a day, if it melted or fell to the ground, she would not buy him another, so he decided to experiment with laca (hairspray). If it worked on hair, and made it stiff, why not on a popsicle! He tried this, and voal�....... his popsicle did not melt!!! He named it LACKADAISICAL cuz it lasted ONE WHOLE DAY!

7 Feb 2011     

imanito
Morocco

very funny LOL

7 Feb 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

It �s simple, really, the word says it all... lacking a daisy...
When used to describe a person, usually a female, it doesn �t necessarily mean lacking in beauty but rather lacking in what a daisy stands for...purity or innocence.
This can be used derisively to indicate a woman of less than high morals...
�I can �t blame him for leaving her, she �s quite lackadaisical, she practically slept with the entire town"
But it is often used - and this is good to know when working with (pre-) teens - to indicate the kind of girl that isn �t too naive anymore, the kind that has left the childhood years behind, not necessairly related to the development of sexuality.
�Growing up in a broken home with tremendous financial problems, has made Susie quite lackadaisical for her age, she knows full well that life can be tough sometimes."

7 Feb 2011