Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day, come and play...    

Word of the day, come and play...

MarionG
Netherlands

Word of the day, come and play...

Here we go again, please share your thoughts (not your google or dictionary findings) for the new word of the day...We are looking for an alternative definition for the beautiful word:

Panacea

Greek teachers (or greek speaking teachers), just pretend you do not know the word....

8 Feb 2011      

MissDal
Argentina

I think that panacea is the ancient name of the Earth....or sth like that...am I wrong??

8 Feb 2011     

Greek Professor
Greece

Yes...Marion...u r right....so...

To me...Panacea...is a sweet. It �s base is with biscuit. Cream in the middle with chocolate chips inside....and on top fruit with large pieces of chocolate...

8 Feb 2011     

Catalina Sorina
Romania

Well, actually, that word is very... Romanian:

In Romanian, "pa" = "bye"
                      "na" = "take", "here you are"
                      "cea" = "that girl"

So panacea means "take a last glimpse at that girl you loved before you say good-bye!"

8 Feb 2011     

luglena
Ukraine

pan-- in Ukrainian it is something like a lord

ACEA - (from french) European Automobile Manufacturers � Association

so this could be could be somethinn like the title of the owner of this association

though ukrainian pupils and students have such a subject as valeology, and this concept is taught just at the beginning, and even right now i remember it quite well, and the reason it has such a name as well ))

and the word is really beautiful ))

8 Feb 2011     

blizzard1
Denmark

Pan: The pan flute or pan pipe

-acea: The suffix -acea usually denotes "orders and classes in zoology"

Thus Panacea is used when you want say to someone that an animal is an expert at playing the pan flute.
For example:  Have I ever told you that my dog Fido is a  Panacea?  Instead of saying:  
 Have I ever told you that my dog Fido is an expert at playing the pan flute?

There are other words similar to  Panacea but related to other musical instruments. Pianacea, guitaracea, violinacea and so on. These words must only be used when talking about animals.

I �m sure many English teachers are acquainted with these words. So your word was pretty easy, dear Marion ;)

8 Feb 2011     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Panacea is a remedy to cure everything

8 Feb 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Olga: not here, it isn �t. It �s a first-class, grade-A Spanish loaf, don �t ye know.

8 Feb 2011     

gloriawpai
Brazil

In Portuguese we have a word, "panaca" which means, dummy. So, panacea is a dummy with an extra e, an English dummy?

8 Feb 2011     

GAZA_CHILD
Palestine

Hi
for me,panacea is a kind of fruit juice made of mixing different fruits

9 Feb 2011     

imanito
Morocco

Panacea is a delicious treat made of pancakes with ice cream ......mmm...wammy!!!!

9 Feb 2011