Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD for FRIDAY 11TH (will go thru Saturday, as I īm posting a little late, sorry!)    

WOD for FRIDAY 11TH (will go thru Saturday, as I īm posting a little late, sorry!)

Mar0919
Mexico

WOD for FRIDAY 11TH (will go thru Saturday, as I īm posting a little late, sorry!)

Ok, guys, let īs see what you can come up with!!!

the word is: 

Rastaquouere

Wink

12 Feb 2011      

reeta1
Canada

So easy. It īs a fancy name for rodent roadkill, consisting of the rat (or flattened rodent in question), and queue, which is tail in French. It really should have been pronounced rataqueue, but the chef who invented this dish was eating with his mouth full, and it was hard to hear what he was saying. The slogan of his restaurant: You kill em �, we grill em �!

12 Feb 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

quouere= querer = to want, to desire,
rasta = Rastafarian

Rastaquouere = a Rastafarian wannabe

12 Feb 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

Let me tell you the story of this word.
There was a mother with a 15-year-old son.
We all know that this is a difficult age group, and this mother was going throught it all. Drinking, hanging around with the wrong crowd, swearing, missing school - all of it.
But what topped it off was that one day her offspring returned home with dreadlocks - he had spent the morning at the hairdresser īs instead of going to school.

Now this poor mother had tried really, really hard to rear her son well, to put some  respect, discipline and good language into him without losing her sense of humour (the latter proving to be the most difficult, for it was her third child going through this difficult age, and it seemed to be the most difficult of the three).
When she saw her son coming in through the door with the rasta look (dreadlocks) she felt like screaming

RASTA ???? - WHAT THE     %&!%&/~~@%&§§!!!    DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?

But this mother was so keen on setting a good example even in times of crisis and exreme emotions and had implored her son so often to cut out the swear words (pointing out that most letters in the four letter words were consonants) that she

- stopped dead just in time
- cut out all the consonants
- avoided the rush of swear words that came to her mind

and came out with the word RASTA, a hiss ("q" ) and a string of vowels that avoided the swear word consonants ("uoue") followed by a helpless groan ("re") upon which she limply went into her bedroom, locking the door behind her and wishing she had never had children.

P.S. She stayed in bed for the rest of the day.

12 Feb 2011