Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > On adding religion, politics, or country pride to ws or PowerPoints....    

On adding religion, politics, or country pride to ws or PowerPoints....

roneydirt
United States

On adding religion, politics, or country pride to ws or PowerPoints....

Typically I download as much as I can and then take pieces from different documents and PowerPoints to make my own, but occasionally like one the way it is.  Just recently had several that had uploaded ws and PowerPoints with items that I personally don �t think are appropriate to have on either.  They are politics, religion and country pride.  Well unless that is what the lesson is actually about, but then not sure it is appropriate to upload on here especially on some.  On country pride it is good to have pride in your country but remember the ws or PowerPoint is likely gonna be used in others so please remove it.  On Religion and politics our students are very acceptable to our beliefs.  If we tell them they could adopt our beliefs and not take the time to let theirs develop.  We have, as teacher, be a bit more unbias on all beliefs.  The classroom is our home but it is not a platform to promote our beliefs or politics.  If you want to talk politics or beliefs in the class do it in a third person and touch all or none.

Please verify your spelling and grammar before posting, I do know accidents happen because we tend to be very busy.

12 Feb 2011      

aliciapc
Uruguay

I agree with what you say, but on the other hand, teachers who upload material - I guess - upload ws which have been useful for them in their classes, so , again, I think we should have a look at what �s available (thousands of ws!!) and use what is good for us and not download what isn �t ... as simple as that ... Have a good Saturday!

12 Feb 2011     

zailda
Brazil

If a catholic teacher working at a catholic school wants to teach his catholic class a topic related to their religion, using English as a Second Language, what �s the big deal? For sure there are other catholic teachers who will use his work.

And hard work is always welcome, if we can �t use it entirely we can take the idea and prepare something for our muslins students, or use the game ideas, and so on.

If the content is not abusive or offensive, if it uses English as a Second Language and doesn �t infringe the site rules, there �s no reason to remove.

If you find a worksheet you won�t use, there�s no need to remove, just ignore it. I �m sure you �ll find some that you�ll consider useful and flawless to download and use with your students.

I like to use controversial topics in my conversation classes because the more the ss get emotionally envolved, the more they speak without fearing mistakes.

12 Feb 2011     

tancredo
Portugal

Freedom of choice is the question!

Do you like the worksheet? Download it!
Don �t you like the worksheet because it has a religious/political/whatever tendency?
Don �t download it!
Please, give credit to our coleagues �capacityt of telling what is good and bad for their children!

Relax!
Have a nice Sunday.

13 Feb 2011     

melahel7
Canada

Well said!  There is no need to cop around.  If it doesn �t infringe the site �s rules then it should stay.

13 Feb 2011     

Errie
Japan

@Zailda:
� � �I like to use controversial topics in my conversation classes because the more the ss get emotionally envolved, the more they speak without fearing mistakes � � �

Clap

@Roney:

I hear you but keep in mind that a lot of sts like to talk about those kinda topics...well some of my sts do.

13 Feb 2011