Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > french teachers / big budget cuts in secondary schools all over France    

french teachers / big budget cuts in secondary schools all over France

jamiejules
France

french teachers / big budget cuts in secondary schools all over France

I �m sorry if some of you may think this has nothing to do on the forum...
The french local boards of education are cutting the schools � budget badly in France at the moment: we are losing teachers everywhere, they are cutting on the school hours so that we won �t be able to organise our lessons/ projects anylonger!
My question is for teachers in France:
Are you trying to take actions?
If you are on the "conseil d �administration" are you intending to vote against the number of hours allocated to your school (DGH) ?
have you managed to make the "inspection academique" give you more hours?
My school is a formely called ZEP (zone d �education prioritaire) We are losing teachers, hours and we are at a loss as to how we can act...
any ideas?
if you are in the same situation we could exchange ideas... please pm me
thanks
sorry again if you think this post is inappropriate
have a nice evening

18 Feb 2011      

libertybelle
United States

Anything regarding the future of teaching is relevant in the forum - because what is going on in France is also going on other places on this planet and this is sad news for all of us who teach.
We �ve seen it before - where do idiot politicians try and save money when their politics fail?
Children and the elderly.
They don �t think further than their own noses.  What kind of future do we predict when generations of young people have no qualified education?
I fear for the future - but have faith in teachers.

18 Feb 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

In this case, two in distress don �t make sorrow less. We, Spanish teachers, are going through the same situation. It �s really worrying and the only thing we can do is doing our best with the means we have and work hard so that the students won �t have to pay the consequences.
Hugs from chilly Spain
Yolanda

18 Feb 2011     

mariannina
Italy

The same in Italy! We did all that we could do, our minster and government didn �t take notice of anything! We lost and we are losing teachers, hours and we don �t receive support for projects and special programmes. The quality of the Italian school is fast declining. It �s really very sad!
Ciao

18 Feb 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

@ Hi Jamie

I knpow you called your French colleagues, but, as you can see .. we are in a global DISASTER.

Here, Portugal, what can I say?.. LUcky you are ! France, and not only France, many more of you, are always a few, some, many more steps ahead.

We will have all those political measures, but, only next school year.
we will have a cut down so, but so hard, that some of us, almost ,with our things packed to  retire,will have some more ten, 15 years to go.
Last year, if law hadn �t changed, it would have been my last year, I could retired after 36 years working.

Now, I �m still working and I have, for sure, to work until 2018, but, probably, retirement age  will improve to 67years old, so I �ll have to work for some more 11 years.

Doesn �t matter what you have worked so far - it matters that YOU, retired, are very, very expensive

Some of my colleagues run the risk of not having a task, a work, a place.

What will happen? - No idea.

Jamie, don �t call your French colleagues, call us, all of us. The boat is the same. When it sinks, it takes all of us aboard.

Now, cheer up, Friday night,fever, take a breath and

Wishing you all a nice weekend

Hugs
Linda

19 Feb 2011     

Aline37
Turkey

How sad is it to see that so many people all over the world (well the EU it seems here so far) are facing the same problem.

Recently I read that they even want ONE teacher to teach maths, science and technology in some French schools!!!! So like this less teachers are needed, the teaching hours are reduced and that poor teacher has to teach and prepare everything with probably no help as it would be too expensive!!!!!!

Like Libertybelle said : �where do idiot politicians try and save money when their politics fail? Children and the elderly. �

Good luck to all of you.

Have a nice weekend, Aline

19 Feb 2011     

amyi
France

Hello there,
My school is also a ZEP (in fact, it �s Ambition R�ussite, which is supposed to mean that we get a lot of extra help to deal with the students we work with).  We too will be losing hours and teachers next year.  We have managed to save a few for the SEGPA (special needs department) and we have voted against the DGH.  We have also sent a petition to the Head of Education in our area and have requested a meeting.  We plan to let the parents know about the situation sometime soon.  I �m afraid that I don �t have anything more radical to suggest, Jamiejules!  I think we �re just going to have to hope for the best now.

19 Feb 2011     

jannabanna
France

I agree with all of you, education is SO important, after all the children of today will be our leaders tomorrow !  Heaven forbide !  Makes one shudder when you see how sole of them write their own language. 

I also think we should do more for our senior citizens; we will ALL be old soon whatever else happens that is inevitable. 

Have a lovely weekend.

Love from the sunny French Riviera.

19 Feb 2011     

roneydirt
United States

Yeah this is a serious issue all over the globe even in non-democratic nations.  I find it interesting that most view it as a political tool and not a necesity, then again they view that on health care in America too.

It is sad to see the average teacher salary is not much more than the poverty line and yet most of us have to take more classes than a business or other degrees.   We could have taken less classes and got paid 2, 3 even 10 times more but  we did go in a field where we love.  Just wish we got viewed better. 

Why the cuts won �t hurt those making those choices?  Their children go to private schools.

Common myth of teachers:
Women �s work (really hate that)
Part time job (maybe it is if you exclude prep-time, research, meetings, parent conferences, club classes, refresher courses [additional education classes], odd jobs because of budget cuts, grading time)

19 Feb 2011     

jamiejules
France

I want to say to you all how sorry I feel that schools all over are considered as a minor issue by governments...
Thank you for replying
next week may bring more bad news so yes I �ll take the advice and try to have a good week end with my family
thank you all for this lovely community

19 Feb 2011