Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Do we really create original ws or PowerPoints?    

Do we really create original ws or PowerPoints?

roneydirt
United States

Thank You Moravc!  That is what I was looking for.  Actual thought.  Your answer is basically what I told my students initially and gave them homework to build on it.  I did think that if I gave it as homework I should do it too by asking other teachers on their views on it.  It is also one of the issues we as teachers must defend against too when we defend our field to those on the outside when we complain about budget cuts and how much we actually work.  Even if much of the work has been done we must adapt it to our students because what had worked one generation ago may not work with the current generation.  Remember our minds are expanding.  So even if the idea is already there or we borrow some others and change it up to our own to best fit our students needs it may not be an original concept but it still is an original document either it be on paper or electronic.

Something for us to think about in this time where many of us are in regions still in trouble from the economic crisis and what our field really means to us.  On certain matters we may have different views but we should also be prepared to defend not only ourselves but our fellow teachers and students with proper statements.

21 Feb 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Let me see if I got it right [BTW, the problem is not your English (although better punctuation would help you getting the message through), it �s your attitude -  psychology 101].

You �re trying to further your thesis/study that out of over 6 billion people on the planet we �re not getting/producing enough originality and that would impair the evolution of our brains throughout the [first] years of study. To reason that thought, you believe that if there was less plagiarism, it would encourage the expansion of our minds - through synapsis, apparently. Now that �s the 21st. century wheel.

At the same time, you criticise the availability of non-editable internet ESL resources (see previous post). Also at the same time, you said you can �t upload more materials because most of your work is copy+paste.

See the paradox?

I �m sure in real life you are a nice guy, but based on your history here, always trying to get everyone all riled up by constantly complaining about quality, content, size, shape or whatever, I gotta say that you �re a little more than a wannabe troll. And the fact that you teach the classes you mentioned is disturbing.

Wanna be a better teacher? Drop the act.

21 Feb 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Ronny - As teachers, we all have limitations.
The topics we teach have already been "discovered".
English vocabulary
Grammar
subject matter
Writing matter
 books etc.....

I feel that my 4 years at teachers college taught me many, many things - but what it didn �t cover was how different my students would be.

Some find learning a new language and all it entails to be fairly easy, while others struggle.
Here at ESL - we pool together our experiences and share them by making different materials and ideas to help make "the medicine go down" a little easier for those who find language difficult and inspiring for those who are clever.
While one method of teaching may work on one person - doesn �t necessarily work on another.
So we keep on making and sharing materials in hope that we just might find the right one for the right student.
That �s the diversity of life, in my opinion.

21 Feb 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

"Thought this was an education site to ask questions ... "  It IS, but that �s not what you do ... you have been criticising this site and its people ever since you came here

There are ways and ways of asking for things ...

21 Feb 2011     

crisholm
Spain

Well, I do not care if it �s terribly original - in fact, if it were, it would probably not be of use to me-. I try to make worksheets and PPTs suited to my students � needs - and find here some others that are quite useful as well and save me hours of hard (sometimes tedious) work. So I am very grateful to all of you. That �s all, I do not think we �re after Pulitzer or Nobel Prizes. But I think most people here enjoy their job. And well, that �s something!

21 Feb 2011     

roneydirt
United States

Never been known at being PC when I converse, and yes I am known as a very nice guy.  Have been known to give even my jacket to a person while it is freezing.  I was raised a bit rough, a military officer �s child from a farming community so basically old school.  My kind are over flirty with women but we only choose one woman to be with, we demand justice for those weaker than ourselves, taught to smile even when things go bad, we are soldiers (gladly take a bullet for anyone weaker than me) and family wise stubborn as an old mule.  This is not an apology for who I am, it is just the facts.  I try to keep it more to the point, but turns a little long winded. 

Yes aliciapc I did gripe and only mention pneumonia but didn �t mention the other issues that were  happening.  I had sent 3 people details on what I was doing, asking them to clean it up so it was not so hostile 12 hours before posting the initial discussion.  None answered and one actually sent hostile messages including in this post.  I can only surmised that they didn �t receive the pm �s, did receive the pm and didn �t read it or chose to ignore it.  What made me the most angry was the individual that I sent the details on what I was seeking had allowed me to electronically cry on her shoulder on the anniversary of that pneumonia incident and stated if I ever needed help to pm her, which was only last month.

22 Feb 2011     

< Previous   1    2