Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The Whole Stolen Pictures Debate - time to chill out I think    

The Whole Stolen Pictures Debate - time to chill out I think

Vickiii
New Zealand

The Whole Stolen Pictures Debate - time to chill out I think

I saw a discussion this morning about people using �stolen� pictures.

My understanding is that you can pretty much use what ever you want from the internet for non-profit educational purposes as long as it isn�t already a �teaching resource�. 
(i.e. scanning from ESOl books and taking from MES-english is not allowed as you would be using teaching resources)

If people use a watermarked picture - well - it looks a bit stupid - that is why people put a watermark on it.  If you want to get rid of the watermark you usually have to pay for the picture - in the mean time surely using a water marked picture is giving the artist some free advertising!

Maybe Victor wants to comment, and I have it all wrong - but I think the only time you are in BIG trouble for STEALING pictures and text is when you take it directly from an educational resource.

Seriously people the witch hunts are getting a bit much. 
If someone steals a full on printable and uploads it - fair enough - report them - let Victor deal with it.  If you don�t think it is an esl resouce - again report them - let Victor deal with it.  Lets just get back our positive community leading up to christmas!

As the Red Baron says to Snoopy,

Merry Christmas Mien Friend!

11 Dec 2008      

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi Vickiii

I have doubts regarding what the watermark means.

Is it just a way of advertising or does it mean copyright?

I know artists -painters- use watermark  across their work to protect them from being copied or forwarded as images. In that case it means you should not use it on your own.

Just in case, I avoid those pages with watermarked images...Confused

11 Dec 2008     

Pietro
United States

Well, each picture or text has an owner. And taking it either from the Internet or the ESOL book doesn�t make any difference, yet the second option is more difficult as you need to scan the book first.

11 Dec 2008     

campbelldavidson
Japan

I agree,

Vikii is right we should stop stabbing each other in the back just because the internet gives us the privilige of anonymity and therefore more courage to say what we would never say to someone in real life. If a worksheet looks good and it has original ideas then download it and use it. If it doesnt dont bother... simple as that... I am sick of reading moralistic essays on this forum..... chill out.... I have yet to see a worksheet where someone has drawn all the images and created all the frames from scratch.. It would just take too long...

C

11 Dec 2008     

xcelair8
Australia

I totally agree. Enough said.

11 Dec 2008