Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Activities to determine students ´ level of english.    

Activities to determine students ´ level of english.

Samantha.esl
Italy

Activities to determine students ´ level of english.

Hi teachers!

Next week, I ´ll be having a new group of teenager students and I need activities to determine their level of english. (I have to do something like this because  it ´s not possible to ask the previous teacher what he/she has done... because /he/ she left). So I ´m looking for ideas and activities to be done in class... I was thinking of having a test.. with several tenses.. but I guess that ´s so boring to go on the first day...

What do you think?
Have you seen here ´diagnostic tests ´ that I could use.. I ´ve searched but I ´ve found none.

Thanks!! Hoping to hear from you..:-)

9 Mar 2011      

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Hi.

How about a quiz.

It can still be a proper and serious measure of their skills and it means you can do everyone ´s assessment all at once, like a regular test.

For example - a multichoice quiz. You ask a question or make a statement and the students must schoose from 3 or maybe 4 possible answers.

They would be doing this activity together and might enjoy the competition.

There is no need to make everything from scratch for the "quiz" test. Just take a regular test (computer file) and cut and paste-in the style and changes that you need.

If you, say, make it a 30 question "quiz", and then check answers every, say, 5 questions, it will feel like a quiz, even if they realise it is in fact a test.

Perhaps if it is your first day with this particular group, give small prizes for best scores etc.

What is the difference between a quiz and a test - only the stress that the students feel in my opinion.

9 Mar 2011     

christybridgeman
Japan

This is an official test you can use to get an idea of their proficiency:

It is called the W-APT

9 Mar 2011     

teacher_dave
Germany

I have used this one quite a bit:

The trouble is, ths students will get a result which could be "false", if they just absentmindedly click through the answers. So, some type of follow up evaluation will be necessary, to see if the evaluation results are correct.....

9 Mar 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Try here, here and here. If you google placement test you ´ll get more results to choose from.
Sophia

9 Mar 2011