Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Direct/Indirect speech    

Direct/Indirect speech

thebard
Tunisia

Direct/Indirect speech

what changes happen to this utterance from direct to indirect speech?

Rainey said: "husbands and wives went off to work and not until 6o �clock did they ever connect".

Rainey said that .....................

Thanks

14 Mar 2011      

[email protected]
Spain

Rainey said that husbands and wives had gone off to work and...
(the rest of the sentence makes no sense for me!!!!!)

14 Mar 2011     

om aziz
Tunisia

Rainey said that husbands and wives had gone off to work and not until 6 �o clock had they ever been connected.I hope it �s correct!

14 Mar 2011     

sclail
Italy

I �m English and I have to say the rest of the sentence after "work" doesn �t make a lot of sense to me either!

Maybe it would be better:  and they didn �t see each other again until 6 o � clock

14 Mar 2011     

thebard
Tunisia

Thank you all

I think the problem is with the second part of the sentence which taken from an authentic english material. the rule says the simple past becomes past perfect so why not:

Rainey said that husbands and wives had gone off to work and not until 6 �o clock had they ever  connected.
what do you think colleagues?

14 Mar 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Rainey said: "Husbands and wives went off to work and it wasn �t (or was not)  until 6o �clock that they ever reconnected".
How does that sound? I might leave out the ever. Rainey said "Husbands and wives went off to work and it wasn �t (or was not)  until 6o �clock that they reconnected".

14 Mar 2011     

om aziz
Tunisia

@thebard yes I do agree with you !

14 Mar 2011     

Zora
Canada

Ed �s suggestion is probably the best... and I agree that it is an extremely awkward and quite unnatural sounding sentence. It sounds as if it was translated literally from somewhere.

14 Mar 2011     

htunde
Hungary

... and they had not connected until 6.

14 Mar 2011